Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Flex-a-lite VSC controller "WARNING"

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex-a-lite VSC controller "WARNING"

I have been using the flex-a-lite fans from October of last year with no problems until today. I went to pick up an old logging machine for my brother today. While going backward and forward to line up the trailer to the machine, I noticed my engine temp was just a hairline below the 260 mark. I immediately shut off the engine, popped the hood and sure enough the fans were not on. All the wires going to the VSC controller were connected like they are suppose to, so I disconnected the ground wire comming from the fans, and the ground wire from the battery. I connected the two ground wires and the fans came on. After the engine cooled off I reconnected the ground wires to the VSC controller and it worked like it suppose to (strange), I guess the VSC controller is on it's way out.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:47 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted this in another thread, but I think my VSC is funky too. My battery is less than a year old, and twice now its gone completely dead overnight. No stock accessory would draw that much power (plus they have the auto shut off feature) and my fans are the only other thing I have wired up. When I say dead, I mean no chimes, no lights, no anything, just dead.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm.....maybe it's time to hook those suckers up to the stock computer. Where's that diagram at for the stock computer setup?

That's something that has always worried me but, until now I have never heard of a problem.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:13 PM
single digit dreamer

i got one for ya too, that big *** 40amp fuse holder on mine is burning up, i tried to buy a new one but they dont even sell them at the local parts store.

i tried the pcm control thing but it isn't working, i never really got around to trouble shooting it, need to see if that output on the pcm is grounding itself like it is suppose to.

those fans along with the big radiator sure do keep the truck cool. i made something like 8 pulls on the dyno within 30minutes and it was 70+deg in the building and the ECT never got up to 180
Old 03-06-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

I had similar problem's but I haven't found the problem yet. I know that the a/c compressor clutch was stuck in the on position, even with the A/C off, which completely drained the battery. I replaced the batter yesterday and no more porblems?!?YET!!!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 11:47 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

John, is this what you are looking for:

Old 03-07-2004, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nice diagram Tex!

Parish .. try a car audio shop for a fuse like that. They should be able to hook you up.

I had one just stop working on me once too. I took the ground wires off and connected them directoly and it started working again for a little while. They ended up replacing it after I called in about it. I haven't had any troubles with the new one yet ... *knocking on wood*

Anyone kow where I can get the pins for the PCM connector to hook the fans up with them?
Old 03-07-2004, 02:12 AM
TECH Veteran

That makes me nervous. I've had no problems with my fans or the VSC yet.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine went out towing up a grade, rheostat [is that right ?] had bad contact. small amount of elec cleaner turn the screw back and forth a few times, no probs in 8 mos. if your batt is getting drained are the fans running ? if not it shouldn't draw any current. if so return it they will send you a new one, good luck
Old 03-07-2004, 03:48 AM
Need More N2O Mod

mine has started to act a little funny, i have 160 stat and have the pcm programed for it and yet the temps will get up to 210 every now and then, and my ac compressor hasn't been working either.

Quick Reply: Flex-a-lite VSC controller "WARNING"