Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Flexplate problems again...check this out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flexplate problems again...check this out!

Some of you know that wheeler motorsports had me put the wrong flexplate on my engine orginally which caused a vibration...so I installed a TCI HD flexplate which I got from Summit Racing. You know it came with a really heavy course powercoat on it on both sides including where the bolts mount on the crank and the TC...I was going to grind off the material but I though...nah they put it on there for a reason...rusting or what not and I did not want to throw off the balance....so guess what happend!

Stupid powercoat has chipped off even with brand new factory bolts on both the TC and crank with red locktite installed, they were also torque to specs...bolts did not back off as the locktite was still holding tight...but you can move the flex plate back and forth about 3/8"...it was starting to make a rattleing noise when first starting up and you could hear it coming from the bellhousing...reason for checking this out.

Now the tranny is going to have to be removed/pulled back again and this is a 4x4...I should not be having to do this again!

What are the recommendations on handling this guys?

Part number: TCI-399773 ordered on 4/13/05

I can almost guarantee that I am not the only one this has happended too either. Also, remember on the orginal engine they sold me the wrong crank bolts as the threads were bottoming out on the crank...I just can't win! :/

Still running only 4.5 psi of boost too...reason it probably last almost 4 months.

While apart I did check for crank backlash...still very tight

Ken
Old 08-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

This is what it looked like...feature silver vein powder coating to ensure long life and great looks....there site says they only warranty there items for 90 days! They are going to hear from me tomorrow!

Old 08-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Well Tony at TCI said they so far have had a hand full of these come back for the same reason I had...Summit it warranty the part even though it is out by one month...I'll get a close up pic when I get it out this weekend.

I plan on working on the MF2 aux injectors in another month or two so I can up the boost.

Ken
Old 08-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

I got the tranny out today...when I pulled the rear main seal the spring (that tensions the seal) was laying at the back of the seal...I pulled it out by the three notches and the seal came out real easy...vibration from the wrong flexplate must of vibrated it out? Now wonder it was leaking!

Also, I measured the before and after on removing the "so called" powerer coating on the TCI flex plate....10 thousands of coating, 5ths on each side! Of course both sides were smooth on the old TCI flexplate. On the new TCI plate I was able to clean both sides of the mounting surface with "Berrman brake clean" in less than 10 min....this can't be true baked on powercoating!? Check out the pics below

Now I am wondering if I should remove the oil pan and check the rear main bearing? Oil pressure is still good and no unusual noises...what do you guys think of all this?

I got lots of pics of everything too....

http://james.jaguar.net/kctrading/Pi...ock/flexplate/

Well...I decided to just put it back together since if I wanted to remove the oil pan I would also need to R&R the front diff assembly, I could just pull the pan with doing this later.

I chaffered the six crank bolt holes so that the ARP 100-2901 bolts (3/4" 12 point shocket head) would have 20-30ths before bottoming out on the threads...I also notched the crank sholder so that a thin 3/4" socket would fit over the arp bolts installed...cranked down to 80lbs per there instructions for dry installation (I did use red locktite on the threads)

Remember this is a 4340 Scat Crank.

Ken
Old 08-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

What's the deal??? My stock plate that came with the truck...orginal one is 110ths...and so is the TCI unit...but Summitracing and TCI say it's .035ths thicker than stock...what gives???

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=KeywordSearch

Ken