Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Flopro muffler modification

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 03:33 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work. I love these mufflers!
Old 07-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigTex
I took some time last weekend to make a modification to my flopro muffler. The flopro is great for keeping down interior noise. But my supercharged high-flow setup needs more flow. I tried a big magnaflow, but it just killed the interior noise level. So I decided to move back to the flopro after a little reconfiguration. I love the quiet. I can actually hear the supercharger whine again.

The default setup of the flopro has most of the gasses traveling through internal vent slits in the pipes. I cut a hole in the end of my flopro and added a cutout. That allows me the ability to open up a 3" dump directly in line with the inlet pipes. I have a 3" electric opener that I haven't installed yet.

Sketch of my flopro muffler:

Pic of my added cutout:

Installed on my truck:

http://www.flopro.com/FP2500oval.htm

Man BIGTEX that is a sweet setup. I want to do a flo pro also, when I get the cash together. Maybe I can look you up some time I am only about 2 1/2 hours from Dallas and check out your set up, and maybe show me how you did that cutout.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

that looks just like a standard Full length header reducer piece that you welded on to the end there, with a 1/8 plate covering the hole, I assume temp till you put something really badass like an electric cutout onto it??? talk about a sleeper...
Old 07-02-2005, 11:08 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically, yes. I had several pieces of pipe and misc parts laying around. I traced the hole I needed and cut it out with a jigsaw. I then just inserted the 3" pipe, and welded it on. The cover plate is off a standard flowtech cutout I had laying around.

On my last truck, I changed mufflers a couple of times and alterd the complete setup more than once. After paying out hundreds of bucks over time for exhaust shops to weld in my stuff, I decided to buy a welder. I ended up with a cheap 110v wire fed mig/flux welder and its worked great for exhaust work. I've since bought a small torch kit, so I can braze too. This exhaust setup is non-stock from the engine back (with the exception of the stock tip), and I've done it all myself in my garage. I just buy mandrel bent pipe and cut it to fit my need, then weld it together.