Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Flow-Junk, Flow Disaster, Etc...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flow-Junk, Flow Disaster, Etc...

just a quickie here... why does everyone knock the **** out of flowmaster? i mean, i honestly didnt know that they were that bad. should i look into changing this? anyone got any good dyno #s, making them look bad?
Old 01-14-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Because they don't flow. And besides have you seen some of their ridiculous claims? For the Vette they say a gain of 35RWHP! Yeah ok.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cause they suck and they're obnoxious! I hate them, cause every person who has a truck has a Flowmaster single in, dual out with big chrome tips. They almost sound exactly the same on GMs, Dodges, Fords, etc.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not going to bother searching for charts everyone I mean EVERYONE that has taken them off and put something else on got less resonance and more power. Hell splice a cheapo dynomax racing bullet in and you will see what I mean

I love my racing bullets that I had cheap and effective.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you ever seen a cut away of a flowmaster muffler, the exhaust goes through a friggin maze trying to get out especially in my 50 series(my mistake, bought exhaust before knowing any better) but that isnt why i hate it, i hate it cause it sounds like **** and it drones like a mother around 75-80 mph.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

More objectively, I believe BlownChevy did some testing at Magnacharger, and found a 12 RWHP gain by switching from Slowmaster to Magnaflow.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Firstly, i hate the redneck/ricer mentality synonomous with flowmaster, their outrageous K&N-like power claims, and their bass-ackwards chamber design. it looks like an obstacle course for your exhaust.

Dynos for LS1 f-bodies with the flowmaster catback have shown an average gain of around 5hp, i've seen some that gained 10, i've seen some that lost a few. Quite pathetic for the price it goes at. The sound varies from generic to irratating, and the drone is annoying at best.

The only flowmaster product i would even consider buying is their mandrel bent pipe and maybe the hushpower mufflers, but even they are overpriced.

I could go on, but i won't. As of right now my favorite company is dynomax, i really like their bullets and their ultra flow mufflers are great.

I can't imagine a better cost to sound to flow ratio than the stock muffler replaced with a single bullet exiting to the stock location.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with 13" 40 series 2 chamber Original Flowmasters on a true dual setup. Now on a single in dual out setup, I don't know, and personally would not spend my money on a "performance" exhaust that only utilizes one muffler. I like true duals with no cats and a couple 40 series flows.....different strokes for different folks, or maybe I am just old-fashioned.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhino79
.different strokes for different folks, or maybe I am just old-fashioned.

wouldn't old-fashioned mean glasspacks? no offense but IMO fiberglass-packed mufflers with straight-through designs are the most effective muffler designs i've seen.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrabhartLS1
wouldn't old-fashioned mean glasspacks? no offense but IMO fiberglass-packed mufflers with straight-through designs are the most effective muffler designs i've seen.
Glasspacks might flow good, but I do not like how they sound as much as the Flowmasters. I have run glasspacks before, anywhere from 12" glasspacks all the was to 22" glasspacks and when I switched to 40 series 2 chambers I could not tell a difference powerwise.

Quick Reply: Flow-Junk, Flow Disaster, Etc...