Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Flowmaster to magnaflow, questions inside...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster to magnaflow, questions inside...

Hey i hope you guys can help me out. Ill try to make this short.

Up at Hot August Nights, DynoMax and a big display setup with most exhaust manufactures hooked up to a flow meter (except magnaflow). So hit the button and flow activated. Damn flowmaster came in dead last with the worst flow! The muffler that was hooked up just happend to be the one i have installed in my truck, the flowmaster part # 530552. So this is where i need your help...

Currenly i have a flowmaster 530552 3" in /dual 2.5" out SUV 3 chamber muffler on my truck measures 5"x10"x17" overall length 23". Dual 2.5" pipes leading out the back of the truck on either side of the hitch. This system was custom installed by my local muffler shop. I would like a replacement Magnaflow muffler for my truck for better flow. Im running a blower so choosing the right magnaflow muffler with the best flow is important. While visiting magnaflows web site their are so many mufflers to choose from. Round body, oval body, XL 3 chamber. Which is better? Sorry for the long post, but i want to make the right choice. Oh and i PM'ed oxidizer for a responce but i got nothing im sure he works for magnaflow, mabey he's just too busy.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:48 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to go with Magnaflow But which one?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:11 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I got th e 4x9x11 3" in/out and love it. Its a little loud now with no cats and teh windows up, but other than that I love it, and even then I like it.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:16 PM
11 Second Truck Club

go hooker all the way, lol
Old 08-16-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut a couple more inches off the inlet, weld up to your dual outputs, and you're good to go.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe there is no difference from the round to Oval - performance wise. I went from Flowmaster 40 series (delta flow) to the Magnaflow mufflers looking for a more free-flowing exhaust (I have a Radix). Here is just my opinion. The sound of the FM's can't be beat (just an opinion). The Magnaflows sound good at low to moderate throttle however at WOT I have an anoying glass pack popping sound. I am sure that there is better flow and more power to be had though. I went on the dyno before and after the swap (conditions were similar) and had no gain...keep in mind I did not do any tuning and I think my AFR is off now.

My set-up: ASM headders, Hi flow cats, x pipe, 2 magnaflows, side exit - 03 SSS.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Just Drove My Truck Today For The First Time Since Febuary And I Got My Magnaflow From A Guy On Here And Love It And I Am Not Finished With The Tail Pipe All I Have Up Is The Piping Up To The Muffler.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Just installed my Magnaflow today with headers an X pipe to true duels up over the axel and than dumped, clean rear end. my Butt meter says very big improvement. Haven't had it on the highway yet but in town it sound good
Mark
Old 08-16-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Naked AV

Cut a couple more inches off the inlet, weld up to your dual outputs, and you're good to go.

Thankyou for your input, this prob the one i will go with.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by krambo
I believe there is no difference from the round to Oval - performance wise. I went from Flowmaster 40 series (delta flow) to the Magnaflow mufflers looking for a more free-flowing exhaust (I have a Radix). Here is just my opinion. The sound of the FM's can't be beat (just an opinion). The Magnaflows sound good at low to moderate throttle however at WOT I have an anoying glass pack popping sound. I am sure that there is better flow and more power to be had though. I went on the dyno before and after the swap (conditions were similar) and had no gain...keep in mind I did not do any tuning and I think my AFR is off now.

My set-up: ASM headders, Hi flow cats, x pipe, 2 magnaflows, side exit - 03 SSS.
I could not agree more, the flowmaster sound you cant beat. Hell im in the mood for somthing different. All my viehicles up to now always had flowmasters on them. So a little change never hurt. Thanks for your input!

Quick Reply: Flowmaster to magnaflow, questions inside...