Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Flowmaster to magnaflow, questions inside...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JERRY2500
So this should be equal to the 12588 just single in and out
Well, kinda, but not exactly. Keep in mind that some of the noise reduction comes from having two smaller diameter tailpipes exiting the muffler, rather than one larger one. I was actually told to taper down the two 2.5" exits into two 2.25" tailpipes for added noise reduction.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I had true duals on my truck with 40series Flowmasters, I run ASM L/T's, no cats, Flows, Chevelle tips. That setup sounded great but I could not leave well enough along and I was lookin for better flow also. I had a buddy that had two Magnaflows that are the lil round ones that come with the lightning/cobra kits. Let me tell you I personally hate the sound of the Magnaflows, sounds really good at crank up and idle, but when you give it gas it pops just like glasspacks and loud as hell. I dont care how loud it is long as it has a good tone. But it pops like a *****, I lookin into a bigger muffler Mags or Borla, or might just put my flows back on cause that setup sounded kick-***. I want to fine Mag/ Borla true dual setup , maybe 3in in and 3in out setup would sound aight....... What do yall thinkkkk
Old 08-17-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fandango
How was the show up in danville?
The next one is on the 25th, right?
Did not make danville, i would like to next time but not sure on the date.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

I ordered the 12588 (14588 polished stainless). Had to get in polished stainless, Summit racing was back ordered on the aluminized. $22 difference in cost and i will have it by the weekend! Might even take a little video comparo of the 2 Magnaflow vs flowmaster. Thanks for your input guys!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vortec327
I ordered the 12588 (14588 polished stainless). Had to get in polished stainless, Summit racing was back ordered on the aluminized. $22 difference in cost and i will have it by the weekend! Might even take a little video comparo of the 2 Magnaflow vs flowmaster. Thanks for your input guys!
Video would be great...please do it if you can, both inside and outside of the truck.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Well i got my magnaflow today. Prob have it installed on Friday. Something strange though, my exhaust guy says that their is hardly any "flow" difference in the flowmaster vs magnaflow. I dont know if hes full of **** or what. What do you guys think? I will do the before and after video of sound inside and out of both the flowmaster and magnaflow. Well here is a nice pic to look at!

Old 08-18-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

If that muffler is straight through, then he is full of ****. They have all been tested on the flow bench and flowmaster is usually down on the scale.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VortecSierra
If that muffler is straight through, then he is full of ****. They have all been tested on the flow bench and flowmaster is usually down on the scale.
Oh yea shes straight through. i did not get a chance to look through my flowmaster before installation. Im sure its not stright through. Here is another pic to look at .......
Old 08-18-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Now, look at a picture of the inside of this Flowmaster:

I think you can arrive at your own conclusion as to whether your guy knows what he is talking about.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Holy chit wheres the cheese at the end of the rat maze, no wonder people say they dont flow, it even says its desinged to create backpressure. I guess backpressure it OK if your not making power and need the low end.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster to magnaflow, questions inside...