Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

flowmaster make your truck slower yes or now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at how much power 1 vehicle lays down with one doesn't compare what it lays down between that and say magnaflow or corsa. just cuz it makes 420rwhp doesn't mean putting on a Corsa won't make more power.

But as stated several times already. It's all about how restrictive the series is you buy. If you get one that flows more then it will give better results.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephIV
Considering that I personally know two individuals running race series Flows on their 9 second cars at MIR (406cid Vega and 408cid Mustang) I think that this Flowmaster bashing is unwarranted.

It started with the F-body crowd due to the less than optimal design of the cross flow style catback. Now the in thing to do is bash the brand and state hearsay as fact.

If members of the NMRA can run their Mustangs into the 8 second zone and beyond with a pair of Flows what keeps the LS people from being able to do the same?

It's about what size, series, and overall exhaust design that you have that dictates how your truck will perform.

Go on LS1tech and see how many Heads/Cam cars have Flowmaster style 3" I/O diameter mufflers on their true dual setups and lay down over 420 RWHP.
But the question is " how much better would they run and how much more power would they put down with a better flowing muffler such as a magnaflow or borla"?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Looking at how much power 1 vehicle lays down with one doesn't compare what it lays down between that and say magnaflow or corsa.
but as stated several times already. It's all about how restrictive the series is you buy. If you get one that flows more then it will give better results.

Agreed, but when you get a question as broad as "will Flowmasters slow me down", then you have to broadly state "no" then explain that with the right selction of parts he can see a power gain. Since I don't know what my friend's cars run with other brands I didn't mention them.

Seeing a Procharger F3R car run in the 7's at MIR with Flows answers the question well enough for me. Of course that's with LT's, optimal collectors, x-pipe, and a 4" diameter. Basically a setup that is designed for 1000+HP.

If he asked if a Borla XR1 would slow him down I doubt we'd have anyone answering harshly like we've seen with the Flowmaster question.

Not arguing, just backing up my statement.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by outlawz2004
But the question is " how much better would they run and how much more power would they put down with a better flowing muffler such as a magnaflow or borla"?

How are you quantifying that the magnaflow or borla flows more? Not to start a war, but do you think that the Borla on my Silverado's Catback flows better than a Flowmaster 40 series with 3" I/O?

Or is it a long bodied XR1 vs a short dual in/dual out 44 series?

Are we talking Borla RV application vs Flow Delta? How about on a turbo vehicle which some tests show that bullets fare better than internally chambered mufflers of the same I/O diameters?

Nobody here has quantified anything. When we get together with 1 vehicle and test all muffler makes, designs, etc under the same controlled conditions in the same environment then we can answer the question of mufflers for that vehicle with that exhaust design.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by JosephIV
Nobody here has quantified anything. When we get together with 1 vehicle and test all muffler makes, designs, etc under the same controlled conditions in the same environment then we can answer the question of mufflers for that vehicle with that exhaust design.
That was his point. You said X car pushed X horsepower. But that doesn't mean squat. You have to compare that same car with a different muffler so saying it did something doesn't help the argument.

Your both saying the same thing except you gave an example of a car that pushed 420rwhp with a flowmaster and didn't compare the same care with a different muffler.
calm down.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah really, relax.LOL. I am going off of a flow chart I saw a while back which clearly showed many models of flowmaster not flowing very well. I am also going off of others experience when switching setups from flowmaster to other brands and gained low end power. I have used flowmasters in the past for the sound. Yes, they are better than stock. Are they better than other brands out there, yes for some and no for others. For a general answer to the original posters question, no they wont slow you down if your coming from a stock setup, but they may slow you down if your coming from another brand muffler that flowed better than the flowmaster.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I lost low end torque after switching from stock muffler to a flowmaster 40 series. The truck was bone stock at the time.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Where's the Beef?

OKay.. how bout this..... OP Find out what Flowmaster you want and let us know which one it is. We'll look at the flow and tell you if its good or not in comparison.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

my brother has a 04 5.3 with intake and flowmaster 44 no tale pipe and no cats and his truck was fast but then he put his stock muffler on with out the cats and his truck got faster down low with the stock one but lost some on top end...
Old 01-29-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

What I'm saying is that people go damn fast with Flowmasters and that you can go look it up for yourself if you are so inclined. The common, "Flowcrappers suck" answer is as stupid as saying that "XXX" camshaft sucks.

The people on here are giving blanket statements that one brand outflows another. I don't get paid anything by Flowmaster and none of my current vehicles have them, but I have to call into question the ignorance of those trying to give sage advice with nothing to back it up.

Why would I list a comparison between flows and a competitor's brand on a 420 RWHP car when we're talking about a truck? Not knowing the OP's budget, goals, build plans, etc I merely stated that you can find examples of people laying down good numbers with LS engines using Flows.

Maybe we could dig up a comparison with another brand but that would be rehashing the controlled test environment problem and lead us back to not knowing which model out of every manufacturer is top dog FOR THAT CAR.

I'm very calm as I'm winding down for bed, I merely hate seeing ignorance passed around as fact or people spouting whatever they've read off the internet. And I'm not knocking anybody here, I would hate to see someone spend $175 dollars on the latest trick muffler like the stainless DNA if they could save some cash and still hit their goals.

By the way vicious, my wife is from Oklahoma. Nice people. Too bad her College football team got spanked and we had to watch it. She was pretty pissed. And your last statement is the best. Given model #'s etc. you could tell him which flow the best if the data is in hand.

Last edited by JosephIV; 01-29-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Addition

Quick Reply: flowmaster make your truck slower yes or now?