Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

FLP headers are on and sounding great.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 10:16 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FLP headers are on and sounding great.

Well, they're sounding great because they don't leak and I don't have the rest of the Magnaflow catback on yet.

I'll discuss a few little tips/tricks later. I've got to go finish up my exhaust right now.

I just started the truck up with an open y-pipe and had to post how good it sounded. I wish I had a way to record it but, I don't...unless my digital camera can catch it OK. I'll check.

John
Old 06-01-2003, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FLP headers are on and sounding great.

how easy were the FLP's to install. let me know if they are worth the $1200-1300. where would you recommend to get them?
Old 06-01-2003, 06:51 PM
Banned

xlr, what are you gonna do with those ASM
Old 06-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Banned

xlr, what are you gonna do with those AS&M headers? did they leak? if you wanna get rid of'em let me know and i'll take'em. post up email me or gimme a call. 817-821-1390
Old 06-01-2003, 08:44 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Kueka - The FLP's were very easy to install. Both sides slide in from the bottom. I didn't have any help and they literally took minutes to slide into place. The y-pipe goes together fairly easy. I did have to heat the end of the passenger side cat to allow the y-pipe to slip into place. I didn't have a propane tank so I just heated it on the oven. Are they worth $1300?? That's really up to you to decide. As far as fit and finish they are VERY nice. They are very easy to install. The premade y-pipe was a nice thing for me because the exhaust that came on my truck had been extensively "modified" <--read rigged. Let me say that I really don't like paying that much for any exhaust but, I don't feel too bad about it after getting them installed.

I got mine from Mitch at Finish Line Performanceand couldn't be happier with the service. Give him a call and he can get you squared away.

Matt - I still have the AS&amp;M's but, have already been contacted about them from someone else on here. If they end up not wanting them I'll let you know.

OK, on to some tips for the installation.

1. The supplied header gaskets need to be installed in a certain direction or part of them will partially block the number 1 spark plug hole. Here are some pictures that show them installed right and wrong.

Gasket on wrong

Gasket on right

2. The driverside firewall heat shield needs to be clearanced as the header is very close to it. This is stated in the instructions but, if you look at these pictures you may be able to clearance the right spot before installing the header. It's easiest to clearance the heat shield from underneath the truck.

Heat shield from underneath the truck

Heat shield from the wheel well. Look at those headers shine.

3. The spark plug wires that are sent with the kit don't really work at all, at least I couldn't get them to fit very good. I did find a wire that fits great though. It is a stock plug wire from a Fbody. They are shorter than the truck wires which keeps them tight and away from the header tubes. Here is a pic of truck, fbody, and the custom wires that came with the kit. The bottom two wires are ones that came off my truck. I don't know why they are different sizes. . The third wire up is a stock Fbody wire. Notice how much shorter it is than the rest. The top wire is the custom wire that didn't seem to fit well at all. Plug wires

4. Use a torque wrench to tighten the header bolts and check them after a heat cycle. I torqued them down to 18ft/lbs and two had loosened up after the first heat cycle. The instructions say 15ft/lbs but, that just didn't feel very tight. I think I'll check them one more time later this week. Before anyone ask, Yes you can use a torque wrench on them. There is plenty of room when working through the wheel well, just make sure you have some extensions on hand.

5. On the passenger side cat use a extension to tighten the top collector bolt. It makes it very easy since the ratchet has more room behind the cat to rotate. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get to this point.

That's about all I can think of. They were just very easy to install and the instruction were written very clearly.

I think I have the perfect exhaust now with the new MagnaFlow catback. It is nice and quiet at idle but, still has a nice deep tone. When you put the pedal down though it comes alive nicely.

If anyone has any questions about the install I'll try to answer them.

To see any of the above pictures at full size you can go here and click on them in the album.

FLP pic album

John
Old 06-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Banned

that's cool john, just let me know man. are the FLPs worth it? i've been thinking about them also...i like the y pipe cuz i could have different ones to swap out.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:05 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Matt - I really don't care to pay that much for any exhaust but, like I said above I don't feel bad about getting them now. The only thing I can say is that they are very well made and very easy to install. No trips to the exhaust shop for welding or anything. They are also stainless so no need to worry about scratched coating. It's ashame you can't really see all of them when they are installed because they shine like crazy.

I talked with Mitch about an off road pipe that could be swapped in. He said they have thought about it but, would need to have a certain amount of interest to make it a reality.

Old 06-01-2003, 09:17 PM
Banned

well i could have one made. if they would include one in their header package with headers and 2 count'em 2 y pipes i would definatly be in like flynn
Old 06-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Well, initial impressions are The truck is much more responsive down low and WOT throttle performance is vastly improved.

About a couple weeks ago I changed my 2-3 shift point to 6000rpm. Before, waiting for it to get to 6000 seemed to take forever and now it shoots up there real quick.

I checked some EFILive logs I took and I think there is even more in it as the O2's were reading .965 average at WOT. Some were as high as .990

I'm also getting alot of knock(upto 8 degrees) when the timing rises above 27 degrees so I'm going to try and take care of that.

John

Old 06-11-2003, 02:37 PM
FLP
LS1TECH Sponsor

Good to hear that you are happy with the headers and performance!!!

Quick Reply: FLP headers are on and sounding great.