Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

flp headers vs. as&m

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flp headers vs. as&m

i currently have the edlebrock headers and i really like them but i think i would gain a bit more horsepower with some true long tubes. i have installed some as&m headers on a friends truck and they were a pain in the *** but we did it. the thing that pissed me off was that he took it to a muffler shop and paid around $400 for the shop to put in the y-pipe. they said that since we seperated the cats from the vehicle that it would be against the law to weld them back on. so the $400 included installation and new cats.

so i was thinking about the flp headers that includes a y-pipe and cats. however, some people have said that it rubs against the frame. does anybody have any more information about this? are the actual headers any better than the as&m?

is the flp y-pipe smaller than the stock y-pipe? thanks for yalls help....

Randy
Old 02-04-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump

I'd like to see what is said here as well. I have my catback coming in tomorrow and I'll be looking into long tubes within the month.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had my FLP headers on for nearly 12K miles and have never had them rub or hit the frame. Is the y-pipe smaller? Do you mean pipe diameter wise or in physical length? The y-pipe is 2.5" mandrel bent stainless steel and is shorter than the stock one. It flows a hell of a lot better than the stock y-pipe.

If you follow the instructions step-by-step, the FLP's will be a pretty easy install. If you just look at the pics and go from there, you'll have a "fun" time.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:45 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tried them both. The FLP is the better header for performance and ease of installation. I just wish they would also offer them in steel with a JetHot coating. The next set I buy will be the FLP's and then send them out for coating over the stainless. If you buy a set they may or maynot expand out to the chassie. The AS&M's were harder to install especially on the passenger side, did not clear the transmission lines, were too close to the starter and did not line up to factory y-pipe. The FLP's are more of a long tube design than the AS&M's.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Launching!

I have the dynatech headers which are essentially the same as the flps. My drivers side header was a little too close to the front driveshaft and had to be heated up and 'moved' a bit. I did call the manufacturer and was told that I must have gotten an older batch implying that they had rectified that situation. They were friendly and helpful and I sensed that they were willing to do whatever it took to make it right. Another guy here had a problem with the passenger side hitting the frame with the same headers and last I heard dynatech shipped him a replacement. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Otherwise I'm happy with the quality and performance of the headers.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Since you do have headers,although they are not that great,but for the kind of money you are ready to spend .dont you think you can do a better mod bang for the buck? what $1300?
Old 02-05-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Since you do have headers,although they are not that great,but for the kind of money you are ready to spend .dont you think you can do a better mod bang for the buck? what $1300?

true i could find something better, perhaps cam and torque converter but i could sell my current headers to my old roomate. actually the edlebrocks helped a lot but i am interested in seeing how much i would gain with the long tubes. it will be a while on the headers anyways. another friend says he is going to do a cam and i want to see what it does for his truck first. if he beats me too bad i may have to get something a little better than a cam.

Randy
Old 02-05-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Phatchevy
CHOP i am interested in seeing how much i would gain with the long tubes. it will be a while on the headers anyways. another friend says he is going to do a cam and i want to see what it does for his truck first. if he beats me too bad i may have to get something a little better than a cam.

Randy

LT's add a lot more in the lower range of the powerband where shorty seem to be mid and top end gains. LTs are a great upgrade for sure. I'd actually go with TOG headers as my first choice then the FLPs.