Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Found my ticking issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn near wanting to think with the lobe like it is, that it very could be a regrind ?

ok didnt realize it was a stock cam
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn it... you seem to have my kind of luck! All you can do is stay positive though, it could always be worse. At least that is what I tell myself. That and when stock stuff breaks, it's the best excuse in the world to upgrade! lol
Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by budhayes3
What brand of cam is that?

*EDIT* was that...
yea, it was a stock cam.

Originally Posted by NewSchool
Damn it... you seem to have my kind of luck! All you can do is stay positive though, it could always be worse. At least that is what I tell myself. That and when stock stuff breaks, it's the best excuse in the world to upgrade! lol
It could, and I'm glad its not. After its together, besides hooking up the trans cooler, I'm done working on it LOL. I need to pay stuff off b/c it broke the bank for me w/all these little issues.

On a side note, do you all think that the new lifter in that spot will be ok? It hasn't been run on that destroyed cam lobe very long, but i just hope it didn't rough it up to where it would hurt the new one
Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinHot98

On a side note, do you all think that the new lifter in that spot will be ok? It hasn't been run on that destroyed cam lobe very long, but i just hope it didn't rough it up to where it would hurt the new one
Really? You are willing to risk it?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

man, I'm so sick of pulling the heads but I don't want to risk it at all!! I have replaced the head gaskets and bolts 2 times now.

Ok, If I replaced the lifter can I reuse the head gasket and stock head bolts? The truck has only been run 10 times or so since I put the new lifters in. I have to have it done by thursday, and getting the parts alone would take longer
Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinHot98

Ok, If I replaced the lifter can I reuse the head gasket and stock head bolts? The truck has only been run 10 times or so since I put the new lifters in. I have to have it done by thursday, and getting the parts alone would take longer
The stock head bolts are one-time use, torque to yield pieces. They should have been thrown away the first time you took them out. As far as the head gaskets, if it is a money thing, save up. If it is only a time thing, you can get them locally in time. PM me if you need a source.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
The stock head bolts are one-time use, torque to yield pieces. They should have been thrown away the first time you took them out. As far as the head gaskets, if it is a money thing, save up. If it is only a time thing, you can get them locally in time. PM me if you need a source.
sending a pm

I've replaced the bolts everytime, and same goes for the gasket.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 PM
formerly Stroked-DSM (11/24/2010)

I'm glad you found your issue, and you should be glad you're not in my position. My motor is pulled and at the machine shop right now. I'm speculating that I had an oiling issue, since my lifters started making noise first and then I spun a bearing the next day. I'll know for sure when the engine is disassembled, which should be tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, I heard sorry to hear man like billy said... *cough* 408 *cough*
Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 PM
formerly Stroked-DSM (11/24/2010)

Idk about all that. It'd be awesome if I had the money. Being that it's my only vehicle, I don't want it to be down for any longer than it needs to be. I think I'm just going to keep it at a forged 370 for the time being.

Quick Reply: Found my ticking issue