Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Free Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if it gets in the Teens some you wouldn't do the bypass
Old 05-18-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shandy294
What gains did you get?
this was tested on the street vs a truck i have played over and over with mostly the same results, at the track i also gained a bit of mph at the track, but i can definatly tell the gain was there.. i was in the same boat as you, dont touch the maf, but i dont believe that anymore.

note, i had to tune for it to give me the gain i saw.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:23 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

if it gets in the teens dont do the bypass, a lot of people dont recommend descreening but i did it before reading anything about it and nothin bad happened at all so i guess its neither here nor there personaly preference some are lucky some are not...
Old 05-18-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
most people with te TB mods spend quite a bit of time porting it all so alot of times the gains are all in their head. if you do the bypass, you shouldnt lose much if any coolant as long as your engine is cold. if you live somewhere its very cold i do not recommend doing the bypass at all or in the winter your TB could freeze
And that is the whole purpose behind running the coolant lines through the throttle body, so that on cold mornings (i.e. under 30* roughly) the coolant will run through the throttle body, allowing it to unstick itself and open up to run correctly. But us down south Georgia folks dont worry too much about that.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:58 PM

amen my southern brother
Old 05-19-2006, 08:55 AM
.T.
TECH Resident

Don't forget to remove your spare tire. No need to carry an extra body around.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

if it gets in the teens dont do the bypass, a lot of people dont recommend descreening but i did it before reading anything about it and nothin bad happened at all so i guess its neither here nor there personaly preference some are lucky some are not...
i did it and didnt think i had any problems unti i went to get it tuned with the laptop plugged in allen had to adjust some settings way out of the norm to get it almost acting right. when i found a screened maf i couldnt feel any difference but the next tune he set that adjusted setting back to stock and all my readings went perfect.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:37 AM

i descreened mine and didnt say anything about it to the tuners i dont think and i havent had any problems with it running wrong...i get pretty bad gas mileage so im suspecting a rich mixture. could a descreen cause this? im pretty sure i get 12 mpg without my converter and with the 3200 i got about 9.8 with pretty much strict city driving but i didnt go off of an exact full tank readin just half so that assumes the gauge is exact
Old 05-20-2006, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

i descreened mine and didnt say anything about it to the tuners i dont think and i havent had any problems with it running wrong...i get pretty bad gas mileage so im suspecting a rich mixture. could a descreen cause this? im pretty sure i get 12 mpg without my converter and with the 3200 i got about 9.8 with pretty much strict city driving but i didnt go off of an exact full tank readin just half so that assumes the gauge is exact
Yes. The de-screened MAF calls for a different style airflow through it and causes it to run rich. So if you want to fix it the best thing to do is either get it tuned for it or replace it with a stock unit.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

The fuels gauges are not exact. I always get more miles off the first half than the second half tank. And you will need to check it several times to get correct mpg's.

Quick Reply: Free Performance Mods