Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

front brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brakes question

i started to change my front brakes when i ran into a problem. to remove the brake pads i need a torx driver for the caliper. what size torx driver does it take to loosen that bolt? the biggest one i had was a 47 which i bought in the past for removing my seatbelts. i tried it, but it was too small.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure but the next sizes up are t50 and t55.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

I think it is a T55
Old 07-15-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Looney102
I think it is a T55
You are correct sir, it is a T55.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry to highjack but since he got his answer I thought I might throw in question reguarding the front brake change.

I just did mine last week and when I removed the pads from their holders, they where almost siezed to it. I had to use a hammer to get the pads off. Now I'm always used to the pads sliding back and forth, so I thought there might be a problem. Got some new pads and it was the same issue, I had to literaly pound the pads onto the holder to get them to go on.

Question is; does this seem right? I always figured the pads should slide back and forth so their not dragging on the rotor. Was there ever a problem with the 99' models like this?
Old 07-15-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Zick
Sorry to highjack but since he got his answer I thought I might throw in question reguarding the front brake change.

I just did mine last week and when I removed the pads from their holders, they where almost siezed to it. I had to use a hammer to get the pads off. Now I'm always used to the pads sliding back and forth, so I thought there might be a problem. Got some new pads and it was the same issue, I had to literaly pound the pads onto the holder to get them to go on.

Question is; does this seem right? I always figured the pads should slide back and forth so their not dragging on the rotor. Was there ever a problem with the 99' models like this?
Sounds like either your metal retainers weren't seated down all the way on the caliper bracket or there wasn't any lube on the retainer surface that the pad tabs slide on. Not sure other than that. I rebuilt mine (also a 99 model) when I powder coated the calipers and everything came off and went back on without any trouble.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JSmith
Sounds like either your metal retainers weren't seated down all the way on the caliper bracket or there wasn't any lube on the retainer surface that the pad tabs slide on. Not sure other than that. I rebuilt mine (also a 99 model) when I powder coated the calipers and everything came off and went back on without any trouble.
Well when I put the pads on it pushed the metal retainers on all the way. I took them off but noticed too much slack and figured it rattle too much so I left them on.
I lubed it up real well but there was so much friction that it didn't seem to matter.
Hmmm, it seems like I may have a clearance issue. Maybe I'll take them off again and just grind down the tabs of the pads to loosen them up a bit.