Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fuel cell setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel cell setup

So since I'll be running a cell I need some opinions... should I just run the factory setup and swap the in tank pump with a stronger one then add an inline? or should I just use the factory sender and then sump my cell?

Also if I sump it how close does the first pump need to be to the cell and does it have to be lower to gravity feed the first of the fuel, or can it be placed higher?

With my motor plans I will be running high HP lets just say for design purposes 800rwph
Old 01-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You might want to check out this site since your doing a custom EVERYTHING... Anyways when I convert my Mustang to EFI I am going to use one of there pumps...

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...=cat/cat69.htm

Universl Sump Pump
Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 307 Likes on 224 Posts

I am thinking about putting a fuel cell where the spare tire goes, I have seen some on some bagged trucks. Anyone know where to get these types?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
You might want to check out this site since your doing a custom EVERYTHING... Anyways when I convert my Mustang to EFI I am going to use one of there pumps...

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...=cat/cat69.htm

Universl Sump Pump
well I figured I might as well keep my factory sender unit... and a sump just feeds the fuel from the cell to an inline correct? nothing intank?

Originally Posted by terravast4
I am thinking about putting a fuel cell where the spare tire goes, I have seen some on some bagged trucks. Anyone know where to get these types?
to retain the factory sender unit (to make gauge work) they're custom made
Old 01-08-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can get fuel cells from Summit racing for a decent price.. I really wanna get a 15gal and just swap out my tank.. make a good use since I need to replace the level reader since its fucked. But I think it'd just be easier to swap it right to where my old tank was
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GMracer
well I figured I might as well keep my factory sender unit... and a sump just feeds the fuel from the cell to an inline correct? nothing intank?
The sump keeps the enough fuel around the pump or feed line during hard launches. If you look a the pic you will notice the large bowl/container at the bottom of the unit and it has a small hole in the end you can barely see in the pic that allow the bowl/container to fill with gas. This acts like a traditional sump, but it can drop into any tank. You also might look into a fuel cell with foam in it or baffles... It would not take much to strave the feed line of gas under a hard steer or launch with the power levels your considering. I have seen a few guys build there own out of Aluminum with baffles and foam... If you running a return style fuel system I have been told to have the return side be far away from the feed fitting to keep fuel temps down and prevent distrubance/bubbles from entering the feed line....

But since your going with a fuel cell just get one with a sump built into it and you will be fine. I would mount the inline pump as close to the tank as possible since the pumps are made to push not pull. BTW a fuel cell will not pass state inspections and are not usually considered street legal...

fuel cell with sump

weld on sump (its upside down, fitting face toward the rear)
Old 01-09-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

well the guy building mine said it would have a baffle in it, I believe foam too. I want to retain the factory sender so it seems if I just use that, and upgrade the intank and put an inline I should be good right? Instead of having both a factory sender in there and a sump. A lot of guys have seen big power with a dual setup in a stock tank
Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump...