Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel issue

I think its time I consider swapping out the fuel pump.........

Besides the fact that my fuel pump screams like all bloody hell, for the past year and a half my motor has been havin somewhat fishy idle. Nothing really serious, but just sounds and feels like at times that its not gettin enough fuel. I'll probably change the filter here in the "near" future before, but id replace it simply to get rid of the whining.....You can hear the alternator and the pump kinda ever so slightly get quieter, then back to normal. I've also considered it maybe a power issue, because the same noise effect from the fuel pump takes place when I roll the windows up (when theyre already up). So maybe power? what you guys think.....

Second, another problem i've been having is the fuel gauge. With a fill up etc, its at the 4/4 mark, but as I drive it tends to like to stick at the 3/4 mark or 1/2 mark, when in reality its at the 1/4 mark. Only way I find out where i'm really at is A. the low fuel light, B. shut it off and turn it back on (doesnt always work either).

Now I did a cluster change 3-4 years ago, but the needles are on just right. (this all started a year ago) What throws me off is the low fuel light comes on (which has always been correct), while the gauge is at 1/2 a tank. So I have to wonder if its the fuel level floaty in the tank, or an issue with the actual gauge. Anyone else having this gauge problem? Not really a problem, but not so comforting on long drives.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fuel issue

I am not sure what could be causing that. I have noticed that the GM fuel gauges are extremely inaccurate. If you Autotap you will find that the stock temperature gauge is not callibrated correctly either. It should start at 100* like on S-10s not at the 160* it does start at.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel issue

I KNOW other people have had atleast one of these issues...........