Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fuel Mileage ?s.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeanyus
Try this test, put a handfull of sawdust in the bed of your truck, open the back window, get on the freeway for a few miles. When you get home get out the vacuum cleaner, and clean up all the sawdust that is in the cab of your truck.
As you are cleaning up the sawdust ask yourself "how did the sawdust blow foreward in the direction I was traveling and get into the truck?"

But if you truck defies physics, I'll have to take your word for it. It is a Chevy after all.
You just opened the window, that changes everything :p
Old 10-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jeanyus
Try this test
Already done it 100 times with grass clippings, and I don't want no **** more mowing yards. Forty bucks in 60 mins ain't bad
Old 10-05-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brodystruck
Already done it 100 times with grass clippings, and I don't want no **** more mowing yards. Forty bucks in 60 mins ain't bad

are we getting another duck across the keyboard?
Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guy's I know this is an old thread but I just have to add my little tid bit of info. I used to drive my truck from Roanoke Va to Taunton Mass. every week and sometimes twice a week (700 miles each way) and everytime my truck would ALLWAYS get about 30 to 35 more miles per tankfull with the gate down. This is a 2WD 5.3l RCLB.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Im with trey. It seems the lower trucks beifit from the tg being down and higher or lifted beifit with it up. My truck is better with it up. But buddies of mine have had the opposite.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jleews6
Hey guy's I know this is an old thread but I just have to add my little tid bit of info. I used to drive my truck from Roanoke Va to Taunton Mass. every week and sometimes twice a week (700 miles each way) and everytime my truck would ALLWAYS get about 30 to 35 more miles per tankfull with the gate down. This is a 2WD 5.3l RCLB.
depends on how fast your going. It's all about flow separation.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Teching In

As stated before, the mods that make you use a heavier foot on the gas will burn more gas. Taking it easy (yeah it's hard to do all the time!) will help you get maximum mileage.
As far as tailgate, I tried removing it vs. kpping it in on/down vs. closed, and for my truck (or was it my earlier truck - 1995 ECSB), it did best with the tailgate on and closed. I was surprised, since the tailgate adds weight, too. So just try it for your situation, and do what works best for you.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try cutting a piece of 2x4 about 2 inches long, then zip-tie it to the back of the right pedal.

If you have your own programmer or a local tuner, take your rev limiter to about 3000.

Unplug 4 of your injectors and plug wires and make your own Displacement On Demand

Or any combination.....

No more
Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brodystruck
Not on my truck it doesn't. This is my sixth semester to make the same 35 mile (one-way) drive to campus. I've tested this dozens upon dozens of times with the same result every single time...
As much as I trust your physics...watch the episode of myth busters on the Discovery Channel about putting the tailgate down when driving. With the tailgate up, the air in the bed makes a cyclical motion that lets air pass right over it when driving. When the tailgate is down, it actually creates drag on the truck and gives it lower mpg ratings.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alanderson1978
Try cutting a piece of 2x4 about 2 inches long, then zip-tie it to the back of the right pedal.

If you have your own programmer or a local tuner, take your rev limiter to about 3000.

Unplug 4 of your injectors and plug wires and make your own Displacement On Demand

Or any combination.....

No more

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage ?s.