Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fuel pressure leak down.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyer
In one word ... yes.

Check the o-ring, if I were a betting man, that's where I'd put my money. It won't take you but 20 minutes tops. Tale the O-ring out and replace it with a new one.
Took the c clip off, took out the fuel pressure regulator and looked... and looked... and looked and then looked and looked and here was no O ring to take out!!!

I thought about that for w while and then got my old intake manifold down off the shelf and I'll be dammed... there was the o ring still in the intake. I"ve been running the Radix for almost a year without any o ring behind the screen in the FPR.

I put the o ring in. Checked the fuel pressure and it went up to 50 and stayed there. Took the truck for a ride and it ran great!! Starts on the first try and runs STRONG!

The AFR guage is still not working so that's next... then get the meth kit hoses hooked up. Then buy the software and begin to fine tune.

I do have another problem that I'm going to start another thead to ask about. The gist of this problem is that while winding the truck up, at about 4500 to 5000 rpm the battery light comes on and all the guages on the right side of the dash drop to zero (the speedometer and tach still work) and this conditions continues for maybe 2 to 5 seconds and then returns to normal. Sometimes after the batter light goes off the Low Fuel light will come on briefly and sometimes the Security light comes on briefly.

The fuel problem appears to be solved.

Many thanks to all who attempted to help and Flyer and Tex appear to be the heroes here. :

Last edited by JimS; 04-19-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:02 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimS
and looked... and looked... and looked and then looked and looked and here was no O ring to take out!!!
That would definitely explain it. Glad you got it fixed. Mark another issue of your list.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome!!! Good luck with getting the rest all fixed up.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigTex
That would definitely explain it. Glad you got it fixed. Mark another issue of your list.
I've got a guy that does the electronic installs for Rick Jones Race Cars, RJ Race cars. They build Pro Stock cars for Warren Johnson, Scotty Cannon and the likes. So, he knows what's up.

I just got my laptop fixed so now I need to get the Dynojet software loaded and try to figure out whether I have a bad AFR sensor in the y pipe or if the guage itself is bad.

One of them sure is not working right. Nine times out of ten the guage jumps up to 15 when I start the truck and stays there and the other time it seems to work right but how can I trust it. Sometimes it stays at the bottom and I have to tap it with my finger and it jumps up to 15 and stays there. I think it's the guage. I'll log what's happening from the sensor to the contol unit and see if that's what happens in the guage.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glad you got it fixed.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad you got it fixed.

Not gunna comment on the battey light thing huh? Chicken! Can't say as I blame ya. Weird one. Or could it be a slipping belt at high rpm?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:13 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

good deal on the O-Ring Jim However and I hate to be the downer here, 50psi fuel pressure is still considered low.

Being that you have an 02, does fuel pressure increase as boost increases? Personally I would not be happy with anything less than 58psi at all times.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

50 at idle should be about right. If you pull the vacuum hose off it should go to around 60.

I don't have a clue about the other problem. I can tell you it sounds like some kind of short or something somewhere. I'm sorry, I can't be anymore help than that.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:42 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

50 at idle should be about right. If you pull the vacuum hose off it should go to around 60.

I don't have a clue about the other problem. I can tell you it sounds like some kind of short or something somewhere. I'm sorry, I can't be anymore help than that.
is that what you had?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Roughly ...

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure leak down.