Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

fuel pump setup R U running

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fuel pump setup R U running

I am losing fuel pressure on 1 out of 5 WOT runs causing a real bad lean spike. It's only a spike cuz I let off the gas as soon as that WB leaves the 11.5 area....it makes it to 17:1 for a split second.

The pump is my second stock pump. I have now the Magnacharger inline booster and the stock regulator. I know some of you run the walbro 255 in tank, but is that with the bucket? Does anybody make the direct replacement for truck's tanks yet? I know I shopped it last year (before I got the second stocker)and you had to either modify your bucket or just go bucketless.

I'd love a plug and play with bucket...but I have a feeling I will still need to modify it to get those results. Any help on some product I am missing out on? The stocker is a MU1089 setup...last year racetronix couldn't help me.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you have an inline booster pump and the 43lb marine injectors and you are getting a lean spike sometimes?? I hope Im not having the same issue. Is this common? Is this why you replaced the last pump? The only thing Ive heard of is a single or dual intank walbro.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by greentahoe
So you have an inline booster pump and the 43lb marine injectors and you are getting a lean spike sometimes?? I hope Im not having the same issue. Is this common? Is this why you replaced the last pump? The only thing Ive heard of is a single or dual intank walbro.
I've been dealing with inconsistent fuel pressure since my first radix mod June of 2004 on the 5.3. Inconsistent meaning anywhere from 40psi to 56psi at idle or driving with no throttle (coasting at any speed). Sometimes it stays stable at 55-57psi, but most of the time it's all over the place until you hit the gas, then it goes up. And about 80% of the time at WOT it's fine, hell it's like 66psi. But then like 20% of the time the pressure will slip down and of course I am not watching it, I am watching the WB/AFR. I am clueless on this. I don't hear of this problem with anyone else or I would jump all over that thread. I am plain desperate here on this one. I have read the recent threads about this, but it doesn't quiet explain my issues. Actually confuses it more. I just don't know if a higher volume pump in the tank would make this go away.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:30 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I've been dealing with inconsistent fuel pressure since my first radix mod June of 2004 on the 5.3. Inconsistent meaning anywhere from 40psi to 56psi at idle or driving with no throttle (coasting at any speed). Sometimes it stays stable at 55-57psi, but most of the time it's all over the place until you hit the gas, then it goes up. And about 80% of the time at WOT it's fine, hell it's like 66psi. But then like 20% of the time the pressure will slip down and of course I am not watching it, I am watching the WB/AFR. I am clueless on this. I don't hear of this problem with anyone else or I would jump all over that thread. I am plain desperate here on this one. I have read the recent threads about this, but it doesn't quiet explain my issues. Actually confuses it more. I just don't know if a higher volume pump in the tank would make this go away.
Could be the regulator/regulator install(o-ring issue??). Sounds like the pump is putting out the pressure.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by DrX
Could be the regulator/regulator install(o-ring issue??). Sounds like the pump is putting out the pressure.
The only thing is...it's my third fpr. I lube the hell out of them when I install them. Third one? For the price I do plan to do another...it's just so hard to believe you know.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem once. My whipple boost a pump just wasn't cutting it. I added the inline fuel pump supplied with the radix kit and all is well. PM blownchevy for details.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:07 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
The only thing is...it's my third fpr. I lube the hell out of them when I install them. Third one? For the price I do plan to do another...it's just so hard to believe you know.
Three bad FPRs would not be too likely.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:25 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Some FPR and fuel system info here:

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/ima.../TLaug03e.html