Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fuse Box / Starter Wiring Help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fuse Box / Starter Wiring Help?

When I did the 5.3 swap on my Colorado, I had to run all sorts of new power wires as well as make custom batt/ alt / starter cables. The biggest current draw addition would be the e-fans, which are of course run off a dedicated relay with thick 10ga wiring. But I'm dealing with an issue, I can't be sure if it's the starter or something to do with my starter/ battery cable routing around the fuse box? Every morning the voltage is always 12.6V. The battery is fresh and I don't think I have a current draw. But when I turn the key, the starter turns but almost sounds like it has a weak battery? I hear a click click click from around the fuse box area (which is on the driver's side, opposite of the starter), but truck starts fine every time. Even if I leave it for a week, starts fine but with same click click sound for first start of the day. Originally, I had my e-fan wires attached to the side of the mega-fuse that goes into the fuse box, but then I noticed the mega fuse appeared to be overheated? So I transferred those wires to the other side. It didn't fix my "click click" problem. The starter is a GTO starter that I bought new (AC Delco) for the swap about 6 years ago and 30k miles. After the first start of the day, the starter turns normally and I don't hear any click click.

Right now my starter wiring is:
Dual 2/0 cable going from positive terminal, 1 wire going directly to starter, 2nd wire goes to alternator
2/0 Cable going from alternator to fuse box
No wires or cables attached to the mega fuse side that attaches to the tab that provides power to the fuse box.
(previously I had e-fan wiring attached to the side that looks blue/ overheated)

Old 02-06-2020, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Heat kills starters. Do you have headers? Did you put the solenoid shield back on the starter after the install?
Old 02-06-2020, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Heat kills starters. Do you have headers? Did you put the solenoid shield back on the starter after the install?
Well this was a swap so I never had a starter heat shield. But why would I be getting a click click at the beginning of the day cold but zero issues when the car is scalding hot? The heat shield theory doesn’t make sense.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 200 Likes on 157 Posts

That's exactly how I have my power cables, I've never had any problems cranking the engine. Does yours crank slow the first time of the day, or does it crank normally but you have the clicking sound?
Old 02-06-2020, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
That's exactly how I have my power cables, I've never had any problems cranking the engine. Does yours crank slow the first time of the day, or does it crank normally but you have the clicking sound?
I do think it cranks a little slow on the very first crank. But then totally normal the rest of the day. I did let it sit for a few days and I put a multimeter to the battery and it was at 12.57v so I don't think I have a current draw? I also had O'Reilly warranty out the battery just in case.