Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Gains from 5.3 with bolt ons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you are not going to want to hear this but I see you said that you removed the screen from the MAF sensor, is that correct? BIG mistake, that screen serves a good purpose of straightening the airflow before going across the actual metering element in the MAF sensor and does next to nothing for improving airflow. Just giving you a heads up.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Launching!

nothing wrong with descreening the maf sensor. removes a major restriction in airflow. his problem with the misfire is gonna be the injector. my silverado had the same problem but it was number 1. i changed plug, wire, and coil, only to find out it was the injector. swapped em all out and no problems since. 160 thermostat wont lower your mileage if you get a custom tune at the same time. motor runs cooler, makes more power and therefore better mileage. for wat its worth. get lt headers, catback exhaust, cold air intake, efans, custom tune w/ 160 thermostat. buy parts as you can afford
Old 06-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Klug is correct. The screen aligns airflow across the elements for the most precise measurement of airflow, all the while presenting almost no frontal area, thus almost undetectable pressure drop across the screen. Removing it eliminates almost no restriction, but increases the possibility of turbulent airflow across the elements, which are very sensitive to the "quality" of the airflow.

Doesn't mean your engine will necessarily run poorly, but it does mean that as the condition of your air filter changes (the variable), and the quality of the airflow changes as a result, the screen is not there to "condition" or smooth the air
flow.

Last edited by 72te27; 06-26-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:15 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of guys having a nightmare trying to tune their trucks after descreening the MAF, as mentioned, it's purpose is to straighten the airflow so that the MAF can get a more precise reading...

Last edited by budhayes3; 06-26-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Launching!

i removed the screen on every vehicle i have run. never a problem. removing it does alter the calibration of the maf sensor cause the air is moving thru it faster. simple as adjusting the settings in the tune if you have a problem with it. and if you check, all aftermarket maf have no screen. wanna have fun, check out the new style of maf gm is using. barely protrudes into the intake tube instead of having multiple wires that cross the tube
Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea, but I've also heard all bad things about all of the aftermarket MAF's also lol...
Old 06-27-2010, 05:51 AM
In-Zane Moderator

FWIW, i have reinstalled the MAF last week just in case, but nothing has helped. I Need someone to let me know of the injectors from a 02 GM intake off of a 6.0 will work so i can swap them to see if it helps the missfire/hesitation with the codes.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by acethedragon
i removed the screen on every vehicle i have run. never a problem. removing it does alter the calibration of the maf sensor cause the air is moving thru it faster. simple as adjusting the settings in the tune if you have a problem with it. and if you check, all aftermarket maf have no screen. wanna have fun, check out the new style of maf gm is using. barely protrudes into the intake tube instead of having multiple wires that cross the tube
I'm with this guy. I also remove them in all my trucks. Never had a problem. Maybe thats why my 4.8 is faster than others. On a side not, Charlie never had any tuning issues with my truck because of it.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:13 AM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue you have now could be caused from the maf being dirty since you descreened it..Try cleaning it with sme CRC maf cleaner and see what happens..
Old 06-27-2010, 01:23 PM
FormerVendor

IMO I feel alot of people should read this entire piece as it is very well written and very true: http://www.gmtips.com/3rd-degree/dox...maf-screen.htm

FWIW to add to this article is I have never seen or heard of a descreened MAF on even a HEAVILY modified engine gain anymore than maybe 5-10 hp, and that's a big maybe. Its not worth hurting the accuracy of the sensor.

Last edited by KLUG'S SS; 06-27-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Gains from 5.3 with bolt ons?