Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Gains after removing cats worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gains after removing cats worth it???

I have been debating on removing my cats for a while now. I'm not to sure if i will like how the exuast will sound with them removed though.
What are to pros and cons to not running cats?
How should i expect it to sound through 2.5 inch duals,dumped,through Magnaflows?
Anyone have before and after dyno numders or track times?
Does it affect driveability any?

Thanks,
Randy
Old 12-02-2004, 06:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up 2 tenths by removing them, there are alot of guys that dont believe in it, but you will get alot more sound out of your truck and they are restrictive, plus you've got the supercharger and you need as free a flowing exhaust you can get. Just my opinion. Jeremy
Old 12-02-2004, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I removed mine on the 5.3 and noticed I picked some high end.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

did it jack with the O2 sensors???
Old 12-02-2004, 08:18 AM
12 Second Truck Club

It sounds like crap but the gains are worth it, especially on a FI car.

You will need to get tuned if you do though. LTrims go out of wack and you'll throw SES lights. Plus you'll smell like gas everytime you get out of your truck if you don't. LOL
Old 12-02-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

make sure you get an x pipe. if you don't the exhaust will start poping around 2,000rpm-3,000 I love the sound of my ehaust on my 5.3 with no cats, jsut a little loud now.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

I've got a question. I think my cats might be going bad. I heard drive your car till hot then tap the cats with a screw driver. So I did this and I get the same metallic ratlling sound I was trying to figure out earlier. I get this same noise under partial throttle sometimes. To me it sounds like the honeycomb is falling apart and rattling down the pipe. So if I need new ones I defintly don't want to pay 100 bucks a peice. I was wondering if I could just get cut out's and weld them where the cats used to be? Should I do this?
Old 12-02-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by maximumrebel1
I've got a question. I think my cats might be going bad. I heard drive your car till hot then tap the cats with a screw driver. So I did this and I get the same metallic ratlling sound I was trying to figure out earlier. I get this same noise under partial throttle sometimes. To me it sounds like the honeycomb is falling apart and rattling down the pipe. So if I need new ones I defintly don't want to pay 100 bucks a peice. I was wondering if I could just get cut out's and weld them where the cats used to be? Should I do this?
the warrantee on the factory converters/exhaust is 10years/100,000 per the govt. requirements. If you have less than that the dealer will replace it for free. WARNING: if your exhaust has been modified they do not have to cover it. Catbacks are okay but if you cut it before the y-pipe you are screwed.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:06 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

well on a stock motor it would actually hinder more than help from what i understand. but being as you have a 6 liter and FI like F8L said it would help as far as the tuning im not sure but for your situation it would prolly help
Old 12-02-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Got some more questions.....
Would removing them make the HP peak higher or just make more HP at the same rpms'? I dont know how high my cam is going to peak and I dont want to do anything to make it even higher.
Will it affect low end torque?? Would hate to lose that.
Just how loud might it be? This is a daily driver and i dont want to **** off the neighbors or hate driving it for the noise.
My exhaust is currently 2.5 inch duals through an x-pipe and Magnaflows,
dumped just before the rear axle.
Tuning wont be a problem. once its all ready to go I'm going to take it to Futral for some dyno/tuning time.

Quick Reply: Gains after removing cats worth it???