Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Gains after removing cats worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

I cut mine out because I was getting 5# of backpressure before the cats. Mine got alot louder but isnt obtrussive and I have the same setup you have. By removing my cats and disableing COT I feel I gained a little at wot but no noticable change in part throttle driving. You will notice a little more reverberation in the cab and on the floor board once you cut them off. As much air as you are going to be pushing, I think it would be a good choice as long as you can tolerate the extra noise, however I have to dissagree with F8L's opinion that it will sound like crap. Will the tone change?... Yes, will it sound like crap?.. I dont think so. Check out my exhaust vid and decide for youself. Right Click and Save As Although removing the cats will not move your power band up, it may allow you to make power at higher rpms because of the unrestricted flow.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=maximumrebel1] I was wondering if I could just get cut out's and weld them where the cats used to be? Should I do this?

I did.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Your power range wont change.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Sorry, I should have stated that "sounds like crap" was just my opinion.

I really don't like the way LS1s sound without cats. Too raspy IMO. With a good exhaust system it is not bad. But with a cutout or lack of a muffler it is pretty bad. Most of you trick guys run mufflers so it's cool. I keep thinking of F-body guys like myself who run a cutout at the track or when you want to scare little kids, old people, and small animals
Old 12-02-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah that rasp sound alot of the F-body guys have isn't my favorite either. Do you know what thats caused by?
Old 12-02-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

You guys know more about it than me I just don't see how removing something that is very restrictive will hurt performance. Granted I need some backpressure and I have don't have FI or a lot of other bolt ons. I don't really see how it could hurt other than the A/f ratio getting messed up.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigKID
I cut mine out because I was getting 5# of backpressure before the cats. Mine got alot louder but isnt obtrussive and I have the same setup you have. By removing my cats and disableing COT I feel I gained a little at wot but no noticable change in part throttle driving. You will notice a little more reverberation in the cab and on the floor board once you cut them off. As much air as you are going to be pushing, I think it would be a good choice as long as you can tolerate the extra noise, however I have to dissagree with F8L's opinion that it will sound like crap. Will the tone change?... Yes, will it sound like crap?.. I dont think so. Check out my exhaust vid and decide for youself. Right Click and Save As Although removing the cats will not move your power band up, it may allow you to make power at higher rpms because of the unrestricted flow.
Sounds good Kenny. I remember you had the cats off last time I was in Hattisburg, but I couldnt remember what it sounded like. I'm really starting to consider doing it. I know Futral does custom Y-pipes. I wonder if Allen could do it when I take it to get tuned?? Guess I need to give him a call.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:34 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am prety much with everyone else. it will get much louder but if you put in an x pipe or an h pipe that will help a lot. .2sec seems like a lot to hope for but if your running true duels with no x/h pipe and changing to no cats with h/x pipe you might see .2.

another option and one that i like is do the cat delete but run quiet mufflers. then put cutouts in place of the cats. nice and quiet most of the time and free flowing when you need it.

i have several dynos with cut out vs no cut out. 6.0 na was worth 20hp up top and never less than 5hp. 6.0 with turbo was worth 60hp!!! i will have a 4.8 comparison tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gutted mine out. My exhaust consisted of shorty headers, hollowed cats, x pipe, 2 flowmaster 40 series then pro dumps. The truck sounded awsome after it was done. I also picked up some top end power and it made the truck feel alot stronger.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to ake my cats off also but I am just worried I would lose lowend torque,I know it would gain highend but what about lowend guys?

Quick Reply: Gains after removing cats worth it???