Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Gear Vendors Underdrive

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gear Vendors Underdrive

huh, your right, i was saying it only works in 2wd but it looks like as of now it will only work for 2wd guys.
If you have an older T-Case I believe they still work on them. I have seen the GV Units for Ford C6 and T-Case and for the GM TH-400 and T-Case. Too bad b/c that'd be a super nice to be able to run a 4.56:1 gear sets in a 4x4 truck and pop that sucker into double OD on the freeway for economy.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the new GV units work on the NP241/NP243 t-cases (the cases in our trucks)...they list that application on their website...you just have to look hard enough

the OD/UD replaces the front half of the t-case on our applications....I called and checked before I started this thread
Old 08-23-2003, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

the new GV units work on the NP241/NP243 t-cases (the cases in our trucks)...they list that application on their website...you just have to look hard enough

the OD/UD replaces the front half of the t-case on our applications....I called and checked before I started this thread
Well sure for you Non-AutoTrac guys! I'll be there soon myself with an HD if all goes well. I didn't know that was available for that. Do ya know if they bolt between the Allison and NP cases?
Old 08-23-2003, 11:59 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm, so your saying it goes between the tranny and xfer case so it will work in 4wd?

back to your original thread then, how strong are they?
Old 08-24-2003, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Hit Man X: the Auto-Trac T-Case is an NP243...I have Auto-trac....

parish....it replaces the front-half of the t-case so the case doesn't move back at all...you still use the original driveshafts...

I STILL don't know how strong they are but someone posted they will hold 1200hp !!!....GV says that too....I just wasn't sure if I believed them or not
Old 08-24-2003, 12:09 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought the autotrack was a 246

the 246 is rated for 2100ft/lbs, or about 700fwtq depending on your first gear(and underdrive)

this is all a bit confusing but it is good info, i want to figure this all out and then back to your original question, how much hp will it hold?
Old 08-24-2003, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

hmm, so your saying it goes between the tranny and xfer case so it will work in 4wd?

I have spoken with many people who use them in drag racing and they work fine. Plenty strong for 1000hp easily.

Yelo...holy crap! So this will work with either the AutoTrac and Non-AutoTrac cases? I e-mailed them about 1.5 years ago and they didn't have one that worked with the AutoTrac cases. Now if it goes between the case and the trans that is pretty cool
Old 08-24-2003, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Parish, they are plenty strong....
Old 08-24-2003, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

my appologies for not explaining the t-case thing a little better...the 241/243/246 case front halves are the same....the differences are all on the backside of the case....the Auto-Trac IS a 246 and is stronger than the 241/243, all the OD replaces is the input shaft and the front cover....no internals are replaced
a GV sales rep explained to me that the OD WILL work with them as long as you don't use the t-case in auto-4x4 with the OD engaged...the OD can overload the wet-clutches in the case and cause case failure (cracking) or chain failure

at least this is how it was explained to me by a sales rep and then later by a tech via e-mail....I asked mostly the same questions of them you guys have....I'm not trying to sound like a smarty-pants

t- case theory is not my strong point
Old 08-24-2003, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

my appologies for not explaining the t-case thing a little better...the 241/243/246 case front halves are the same....the differences are all on the backside of the case....the Auto-Trac IS a 246 and is stronger than the 241/243, all the OD replaces is the input shaft and the front cover....no internals are replaced
a GV sales rep explained to me that the OD WILL work with them as long as you don't use the t-case in auto-4x4 with the OD engaged...the OD can overload the wet-clutches in the case and cause case failure (cracking) or chain failure
I ran out to the garage and peeped at mine, it is a 246 also. "Input shaft and front cover get replaced"... so nothing major is swapped right. I looked at my case and didn't see where this extra OD unit would go as it is really tight in there.

Do you have any pics of the parts being replaced?

Can I still used the Double OD in 4Hi?

What case comes on the HD trucks?

I am thinking on going with a 4" lift on 35's with a 4.56:1 gear set and use that Double OD if it works with a HD T-Case

Quick Reply: Gear Vendors Underdrive