Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

gen I sbc 350 - LSx retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it won't work, doesn't operate the same way as the genIII, thanks though
Old 10-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

have fun with that and dont spend to much money
Old 10-26-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id personally just get a book and read about what the sensors do and how they operate, but thats just me

Good luck in your project
Old 10-26-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually did buy a book from oreilly's that's pretty good actually. it covers everything about genIII motors, but I can't really find anywhere about the sensors yet. im sure somewhere there's a pot of gold on the internet for me about the electronics lol.

anyways, I really will only have about 800 in the whole project when it's all said and done, so if it gets me a decent amount of power I think it's worth it. the long term goal again is to turbo the motor. should be fun with a turbo on it. if it goes 350 to the ground that's about .116hp/lb and an average fbody would be around .09hp/lb
Old 10-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Teching In

the firing order on a old school sbc is 18436572 im almost positve the new comp dont use that firing order may cause unwanted crank deflection..
Old 10-29-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you looked into Megasquirt? Not trying to take away from you stock efi dream, but its cheap DIY stuff that actually has some pretty cool features the HPT and stock gm stuff won't do, like real time commanding close loop wideband o2 fueling. It works great with turbos, has a built in 2 1/2 bar MAP. There are several different ignition options too. I have ran a couple of fuel only setups with Mega squirt and it worked GREAT.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can alter the firing order... ie. if the motor is at TDC for cylinder 2 and the computer thinks it's supposed to be cylinder 3 I can just swap the coils around from cyilnder 3 to cylinder 2... see what I'm sayin? I just gotta swap the line for which coil is supposed to fire.

yeah i've seen megasquirt, and their stuff is really nice, but going this route will be more cost-effective, and if I go turbo I can still tune it just fine with HPT
Old 10-31-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting. All kinds of neat stuff can come about when folks go off the beaten path like this. Who knows, you might be able to come up with a low-buck EFI kit for the SBC motor that can be built from junkyard parts at a fraction of the cost of an aftermarket system. If there ends up being some odds and ends that you fabricate to make it work, you might have a marketable product on your hands. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NBred94
Interesting. All kinds of neat stuff can come about when folks go off the beaten path like this. Who knows, you might be able to come up with a low-buck EFI kit for the SBC motor that can be built from junkyard parts at a fraction of the cost of an aftermarket system. If there ends up being some odds and ends that you fabricate to make it work, you might have a marketable product on your hands. Good luck and keep us posted.
That last part won't happen... There are more cheaper/easily adapted factory harnesses out there compared to the LS based stuff, like the TPI systems or Vortec Sequential systems.

I still like that he's off of the beaten path though. Should be crazy when it's done.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS_bnoon_SS
That last part won't happen... There are more cheaper/easily adapted factory harnesses out there compared to the LS based stuff, like the TPI systems or Vortec Sequential systems.

I still like that he's off of the beaten path though. Should be crazy when it's done.
actually some of the ls-based parts now are easier to gain access to especially through online forums such as here and ls1tech.com

thanks for the comments, I like being original and making things work that most people dont think is easy/possible. I know this project is possible and I really wanna see the advantages over using a carb setup in the buggy.

on the part about being crazy... as long as I can get a good tune on it and everything (ie the tranny/brakes/rearend) runs smoothe, the buggy should be able to run pretty quick in the quarter.

once the conversion is done I'm going to the scales over in Alvin to get a full load weight (me/my buddy=500 lbs together , a full fuel cell = 160lbs). Right now we're estimated 1700lbs dry weight. if we can maintain traction we should be able to get into the low 11's at the quickest, most likely a high 11 to very low 12. after that, new pistons/rod bolts/heads and some boost or nitrous. most likely a T4 type turbo, something that will spool fast and give some serious low end boost.

on tuesday before I left the tb/injectors/sensors/coils came in the mail. the lc-1 should be there too now (i've been at sema so hopefully the UPS bitch left at on the doorstep). pcm and harness will be here this coming monday. I need to find a torn up genIII cam that still has the cam sensor ring intact. a few more sensors, and a new fuel pump and we'll be in business (sort of )

i'll get the pix of everything up on my site soon.

Quick Reply: gen I sbc 350 - LSx retrofit