Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Gibson catback

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Gibson catback

I just finished putting on a 3" single side exit gibson catback on my truck. It took me about 2 hours total, including running back to the store to get a 15mm deep socket. It was real easy to put on, the only problem I ran into was getting the stock exhaust off. I didn't have my sawzall so I had to jack my truck up and try to snake the exhaust out from the back, that took about an hour to do. The new exhaust is really mellow at idle, it may be even quieter than stock. It has a nice mellow tone throughout the rpm range but at wot it really opens up, but it isn't extremely loud.

And on another note, my cable for Blackbear Performance is in the mail coming to me, so I'll have a tune pretty soon.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was the first mod I did. I was pleased with the sound and performance. Damn that was a long time ago and a big chunk of money ago.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:27 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the gibson!i have the same setup,real nice tone
Old 07-26-2008, 10:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Gibson's seem to hold up well too, I've had mine on my truck for about 8 years and it's still solid. The tailpipes wire in great shape when I removed them and dumped it before the axle about two years ago
Old 07-27-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, you are one of the guys in my way for my cable tune from Blackbear!!! JK!!! Gibson makes a great exhaust. Did you go with the Stainless?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001si3rr@
So, you are one of the guys in my way for my cable tune from Blackbear!!! JK!!! Gibson makes a great exhaust. Did you go with the Stainless?
No, I didn't get the stainless. Didn't really see the point. It was almost $200 more, and I live in the south with no snow or salt on the roads, and I'm also far enough from the gulf to not get affected by that salt either.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a little over 4 years on my Super Truck muffler. No issues other than the keeping the tips clean. I had to take them off a few months back for a wideband street tune and never put them back on.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to replace my first one because of rust. They won't last up here in the rust belt. The new one is stainless and holding up great. They get really loud when you go to long tube headers and off road pipe though. When the HP started going up on the truck the reg muffler clamp wasn't good enough, it kept blowing the muffler off when I got on it even at the drag strip with the cut-out open. So I wonder about the flow with high HP ??
Oh, had to tack weld the muffler and use a band clamp.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raffman
I had to replace my first one because of rust. They won't last up here in the rust belt. The new one is stainless and holding up great. They get really loud when you go to long tube headers and off road pipe though. When the HP started going up on the truck the reg muffler clamp wasn't good enough, it kept blowing the muffler off when I got on it even at the drag strip with the cut-out open. So I wonder about the flow with high HP ??
Oh, had to tack weld the muffler and use a band clamp.
Yea, definitely need stainless around here....

mine got a little louder after the LT's, but I still have cats. Removing the tailpipes and dumping it before the axle really made mine louder. I'm tempted to gut the cats but I'm afraid that it will sound raspy and I'll lose some bottom end that this truck desperately needs...
Old 07-28-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im gonna take the gibson dual rear side exit after I order the cam and stall