Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

glasspack as a resonator

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glasspack as a resonator

hey guys, im going to be putting dual exhaust on my truck, and im thinking dynomax ultraflow with dual outs? are they good, bad ugly? how do they sound? drone? are they loud ? i dont want too loud, and quiet at cruis would be nice, so i was thinking of putting a resonator in front, would a glass pack work?
thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m using Dynomax bullets in each pipe going into a dual in / dual out Magnaflow to take the edge off. I like my truck to be a little more on the quite side and after I gutted the cat’s it was entirely too loud for me. Now that the Magnaflow has several years on it, it’s gotten where it’s getting too loud again. I think it’s time for replacement.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1Bear
I’m using Dynomax bullets in each pipe going into a dual in / dual out Magnaflow to take the edge off. I like my truck to be a little more on the quite side and after I gutted the cat’s it was entirely too loud for me. Now that the Magnaflow has several years on it, it’s gotten where it’s getting too loud again. I think it’s time for replacement.
thanks for the info, do you know anything about the ultra flows? do they drone?
Old 06-12-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02whitelightning
thanks for the info, do you know anything about the ultra flows? do they drone?
No, I've never used or even actually heard a truck with them that I know of. Hell, you never know, I could have been standing right next to one and not known it though.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

haha yeah, sometimes its hard to tell
what about magnaflow,
im on the fence for magnaflow or dynomax ultraflow. im just curious how they will do with headers, and whether it will be too loud for my liking or not. do you know anything about pacesetter headers? i found a set on jegs pretty cheap, and i also found a set of dynomax headers on there but i dont know which.
oh and if i still use cats will it keep the noise down just a bit?
Old 06-12-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

A lot of people use the Pacesetter and OBX headers and have good things to say about them, especially for the price. One thing about the Pacesetter’s is depending on the climate where you live, you may need to look into having them coated or they will end up rusting out and you may need to figure that into your budget or at least use it as a comparison when comparing against other sets. There again I’ve never used the Pacesetter’s, so I don’t want to give you bad info on them, but there are a ton of people on here that have, so you should be able to find all the info you would ever need to help you make your decision. A set of headers will have an effect of on the overall sound quality and loudness to a degree. Some of the headers that come with a Y-Pipe, especially the lower-end so to speak headers come with a Y-Pipe that has fake cat’s and they won’t do anything to lessen the noise. Some people like the Magnaflow’s and some don’t, they do tend to resonate in a lot of peoples set-up’s. I don’t feel that the sound is near as good as something like a Corsa, but then again they don’t cost near as much either, however to be fair Corsa no longer sales just mufflers and if you were comparing a cat back from both, the prices would be closer. But to answer your last question, yes the cat’s will quite things up a good deal.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1Bear
A lot of people use the Pacesetter and OBX headers and have good things to say about them, especially for the price. One thing about the Pacesetter’s is depending on the climate where you live, you may need to look into having them coated or they will end up rusting out and you may need to figure that into your budget or at least use it as a comparison when comparing against other sets. There again I’ve never used the Pacesetter’s, so I don’t want to give you bad info on them, but there are a ton of people on here that have, so you should be able to find all the info you would ever need to help you make your decision. A set of headers will have an effect of on the overall sound quality and loudness to a degree. Some of the headers that come with a Y-Pipe, especially the lower-end so to speak headers come with a Y-Pipe that has fake cat’s and they won’t do anything to lessen the noise. Some people like the Magnaflow’s and some don’t, they do tend to resonate in a lot of peoples set-up’s. I don’t feel that the sound is near as good as something like a Corsa, but then again they don’t cost near as much either, however to be fair Corsa no longer sales just mufflers and if you were comparing a cat back from both, the prices would be closer. But to answer your last question, yes the cat’s will quite things up a good deal.
thanks for all your help 1bear i really appreciate it, i have just one question about installing headers, do i need to get anything else, or will the bolt on and hook up to the existing exhaust system? because im putting cat back on and im not sure if i should do exhaust first or headers first. what do you think?
and man i wish i new someone with both exhausts so i could compare sound lol
thanks for the help
Old 06-12-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

The headers should come with new bolts, but if they don’t, you have a few choices you can make; either just pick up some new stock bolts, purchase some quality ARP bolts or even pick up a set of studs and nuts as were used with the V6’s from the dealer. I also prefer to use stock gaskets at the heads, whether yours are still serviceable or pick up a new set, instead of usually what is supplied with the headers. You will also want to soak all the fasteners over night and still be careful with the bolts going into the heads, even being careful it’s a good possibility that the heads will snap off some of the bolts. About half the time, you will see unmolested trucks with the heads popped of the bolts of the manifolds, usually the end bolts. Also make sure to use anti-seize on the bolts screwing into the aluminum heads. You will probably need some exhaust work mating the Y-Pipe to your cat back, but there again whatever headers you end up choosing will dictate what needs to be done. The Dynatech’s I’m using just bolted up to the rest of the exhaust without any issue and as OBX’s are basically copies of the older style Dynatech’s, I’m sure their Y-Pipe will bolt up fine as well. I really would do a search on a couple of the brands that you’re interested in and see what all issues or comments people had with them in particular.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

ok, so do you think longtubes pacestters will need a y pipe?
Old 06-13-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have pacesetters with their y pipe and I'm using a bullet as a resonator and the large magnaflow, I think its the 28" case. Its now tolerable. I used to have just a 14" magnaflow dumped and it was really loud.

Quick Reply: glasspack as a resonator