Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

GM motor but in a boat tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GM motor but in a boat tuning questions

2002 Caravelle Interceptor 232 with the Vortec 350. Since the boater and diesel owners have a lot in common meaning if it isn't manufactured they don't do it, I am having a hard time having questions answered. Would it be possible to tune this boat with EFI Live? I don't understand why diesel owners and boat owners are afraid to try something, I had a guy tell me that you couldn't turbo a boat even after he admitted it would be a better choice as a power adder than a SC. I know off topic, but this is one of the most sensible sites I get one.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i guess what your trying to ask is can you put a gm diesel in a marine application? If so, it has been done. I forgot the company but they put a tuned Dmax in a boat and made some good power.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you are asking if you can tune the Vortec 350 (which is a gas engine, correct?) with EFI Live? I am lost about all of the diesel owners being discussed.

A lot of the tuning is going to be based of off your O2 readings, but I think O2 sensors do not function well at all in a wet exhaust environment, like a boat, and if you use an O2 with a water jacket, it might not reach the correct operating temp to give good readings. These are just taken from people I have spoken with and things I have read.

Check out this thread: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/diy...-use-9524.html
Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

^^^ yeah, it all depends on your exhaust set up.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:38 PM
no title here

Only reason I brought up diesels is the owners of a diesel are like boat owners. They are not really willing to be creative and step out when something hasn't been done to try new things or try and engineer something on their own. Now, that being said I was curious about tuning the ECU in the boat with something like EFI Live, supposedly you can get a tuned ECU but I wanted to see if an individual could do it. But when I asked I was told "good luck" I am just curious.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 2nd cousin has a boat with two supercharged ls1's.... i know its not running on the stock tune....
Old 04-07-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you kidding on the diesel tuning??? EFILive probably sells 4 or 5 times more units to the duramax guys for tuning then the gas guys. Diesels are thier bread and butter. Their tuning section on www.dieselplace.com moves almost as fast as this whole web site.

As for tuning EFI boats, they use a different PCM then the trucks and EFILive doesn't support that PCM...
Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

we've had quite a few high powered boats in the past, but all of ours were carbeurated. i've been on the water since i was in diapers and i can honestly say that out of all the boats that i've seen on the water, i've never seen one with O2 sensors; that being said, i have no idea how you would tune a fuel injected motor other than using a speed density tune...
contact stainless marine. i'm sure they can hook you up with some good exhaust for that thing.
also, i've never seen a water driven turbo so i wouldn't try it. stick a maggie on top if you want more power and call it done.

Last edited by honeycutt.dewey; 04-07-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:50 PM
no title here

What I was talking about on diesels was in reference to an intake or boost tubes. A while back there was a guy on DuramaxForum.com selling "boost tubes" for $400. It was two tubes going from the intercooler.....when I asked about building them or building an intake I was told "I don't think you could do it they are pretty difficult". It was very simple, EFI Live is what I am going to buy probably next week for mine.....and the intake I will build. The reason I was thinking turbo over Kenne Bell or Procharger is because the outdrive is good for 300hp. If you could get a big enough turbo that would have enough lag it wouldn't hit as hard as a SC and when cruising you would be out of boost. We were talking about running a 78mm turbo on that 350 at say 4 or 6 psi. Keep in mind this is all hypothetical but I would like to do it at some point. What do you think Kyle since you know a good bit about turbos? Our logic make sence?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
i've never seen a water driven turbo so i wouldn't try it. stick a maggie on top if you want more power and call it done.
Search youtube. there are tons of them. The water is injected into the exhaust system after the turbos so no water can get to the turbos. its a nice setup but im still a fan of the maggie on a big block.

Quick Reply: GM motor but in a boat tuning questions