Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 Exhaust Question

I'm looking into some exhaust options for my truck. It's my understanding the OE factory exhaust is a true dual 2.5'' tubing into a dual inlet muffler. Then from the muffler, it's a single outlet 3'' over the axle and out the back.

Currently my 2005 VHO has the factory muffler removed, I have two Flowmaster 40s on my truck, one on each exhaust tube. Then each muffler is just turned down to the ground under the cab.

I've seen a few trucks online that have a merge into a single 3.5'' or 4'' exhaust, that seems like a fairly simple exhaust. I'd like to go that route and get my exhaust all the way out the back again. So I started collecting a few things. But since I've seen people call Flowmaster mufflers, "Chokemasters" and a 4'' is overkill for the 6.0 gas trucks... I was thinking since my truck already has some Flowmaster mufflers on it, a larger single one would have a similar sound to it. And going to that overkill size exhaust would kind of equal out with the larger Flowmaster 40 muffler if its as restrictive as people say.

I will admit, I'm new to the truck scene. Should I continue the plan to put this exhaust on or should I make some kind of change? Different muffler, go to 3.5'' exhaust tubing, or just start over with some thing else??

I posted about this a few days ago on the PerformanceTrucks Facebook page, but then was deleted by admins before I could respond or ask for recommendations to all the negative responses. So I'll try here.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:22 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

This site has no affiliation with the Facebook page, that page just used our name.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

The Facebook page is a joke with a bunch of losers that just troll.... it's good it's a secret page so nobody can see it. I have a dual 3" inlet Magnaflow with a 4" tailpipe on my LQ4 and it felt like a 50 hp increase over my junk falling apart stock exhaust. Sounds great too... it's not too big.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Everyone has different goals and resources but I built an exhaust that merges 3" Y to 3.5" to the rear. This couple with a Magnaflow 12909, dynomax 3.5" bullet to a Flowmaster tip.

With LTs and no cats she's very deep rumble, no rasp. Muffler is damn near straight through
Old 02-26-2020, 06:46 AM
Teching In

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

My idea was to get an exhaust installed that I don't have to change a bunch of times when I start building up the motor. Right now the lq9 in my truck is stock, but eventually it will be going the LSA supercharger and long tube headers route. I understand going to this 4'' is not going to be quiet. I just don't want it to sound like ****. To me, Flowmaster mufflers don't sound bad, but I'm not opposed to other muffler recommendations if anyone has one. I did try and email Corsa asking about some of the 4' mufflers they make, the reply was simply that they wouldn't recommend any 4'' muffler for a gas truck application. I was also looking into the Hooker Maximum Flow 4'' mufflers, the few people I can find with them seem to be happy with them.