Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Going to the Track

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to the Track

I'm planning to take my truck to a nearby (sort of) track this spring to measure 1/4 mile e.t.'s. I've done some research and have a few questions I hope someone can answer. Since there is a remote but real possibility that I may run in the 13's (0 to 60 is 6 sec. flat), there are a few extra safety items I need to address:

1: I need a driveline loop. Well, actually two of them since I plan to lauch in 4WD. The rear driveline seems easy enough, as there are several kits available for about $25-30, but what would you recommend for the front driveshaft?

2: Apparently I also need a racer's helmet, with a Snell rating of 90 (whatever that is?). Where would I pick up one, what is a good brand, and how much do they cost?

Sorry for all the dumb newbie questions, but this is my first time at this. Anything else I should know? I read the NHRA safety check listed for some drag strip in NJ (opposite coast from me) and it sounds like I should pass on everything else. Thanks for any advice/help you can give.

GMC_DUDE
Old 12-30-2004, 02:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
I'm planning to take my truck to a nearby (sort of) track this spring to measure 1/4 mile e.t.'s. I've done some research and have a few questions I hope someone can answer. Since there is a remote but real possibility that I may run in the 13's (0 to 60 is 6 sec. flat), there are a few extra safety items I need to address:

1: I need a driveline loop. Well, actually two of them since I plan to lauch in 4WD. The rear driveline seems easy enough, as there are several kits available for about $25-30, but what would you recommend for the front driveshaft?

2: Apparently I also need a racer's helmet, with a Snell rating of 90 (whatever that is?). Where would I pick up one, what is a good brand, and how much do they cost?

Sorry for all the dumb newbie questions, but this is my first time at this. Anything else I should know? I read the NHRA safety check listed for some drag strip in NJ (opposite coast from me) and it sounds like I should pass on everything else. Thanks for any advice/help you can give.

GMC_DUDE
Usually if you drive in (truck not on a trailer), and you are just "racing" for time, you can pass tech without even being tech inspected.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:53 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

yeah at my local track they do not make you start wearing a helmet or i should say enforce you wearing a helmet until you break into about mid to low 12's so i would not worry to much about that as far as the loop good luck i have no idea
Old 12-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

I really don't think you are going to see a 13 if your 0-60 is 6.0. I think it would be more like high 14 low 15.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 86SWB
I really don't think you are going to see a 13 if your 0-60 is 6.0. I think it would be more like high 14 low 15.
I was basing my guesstimate on articles about the Joe Gibbs truck, such as this one.

http://www.truckinweb.com/features/0000tr_gibbs/

Note the one they are discussing runs 0-60 in 5.9 and the 1/4 mi. in 13.8.

My truck varies from these in the following ways:

4.8L engine (-)
175 lb. canopy (-)
automatic transmission (+ or -, depending on driver skill w/ stick)
crummy GM stock suspension (mostly neutral, going in straight line)
4 wheel drive (- for extra weight and power loss, + for extra traction)
smaller 245 tires (+)
7.5 psi boost instead of 5 psi (+)
mostly stock interior and exterior, looks like a fishing truck (+ for appearance, neutral or - for performance)

The 6.0 0 to 60 time was done with a stopwatch on an empty highway which may not have been perfectly level (but was close) so the real time may vary + or - by a fair amount. When I tested my Honda Accord, it ran 0-60 in 7.5 sec., and the magazines average out about 7.0 sec (range 6.57 to about 7.6), so I think my times may be a bit on the conservative side.

In summary, it's just hard to say what it will really do without doing an actual run. I guess this brings up another question: Suppose I claim it will run 14's so I don't need the driveshaft loop, helmet, etc., and then it pulls a 13.95. Do I face a fine? getting kicked out of the drag strip? what happens?

Thanks for any info you can provide,

GMC_DUDE

(edit: Changed link to one which included the Silverado spec. Original link only had Tahoe.)
Old 12-30-2004, 07:28 PM
13 Second Truck Club

In summary, it's just hard to say what it will really do without doing an actual run. I guess this brings up another question: Suppose I claim it will run 14's so I don't need the driveshaft loop, helmet, etc., and then it pulls a 13.95. Do I face a fine? getting kicked out of the drag strip? what happens?

Thanks for any info you can provide,

GMC_DUDE

(edit: Changed link to one which included the Silverado spec. Original link only had Tahoe.)
Alot depends on which track you go to, at NHRA tracks you need to wear a helmet @13.999 and under, some tracks you can go into the 12's without one. Don't worry about a fine or anything of that sort. They will just let you know you need to wear a helmet, if you are that worried about it, why not go to Pep Boys and get one for $50 bucks or so. Good luck getting into the 13's.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HemiTman
Alot depends on which track you go to, at NHRA tracks you need to wear a helmet @13.999 and under, some tracks you can go into the 12's without one. Don't worry about a fine or anything of that sort. They will just let you know you need to wear a helmet, if you are that worried about it, why not go to Pep Boys and get one for $50 bucks or so. Good luck getting into the 13's.
Thanks, HemiTman!! There is a Pep Boys about 45 minutes from here, so I'll go down and pick one up. There are two strips "nearby", both being a 2+ hr drive and one only accessible by ferry (unless you want to make it a 5+ hr drive). Hence my paranoia, I don't want to make the long trip, only to be turned away on a technicality. I was under the truck today and it looks like a front drive loop, while possible, will be a challenge. The shaft is easily accessible, but there is nothing nearby to bolt the loop to. Oh well, as they say, necessity is the mother of invention.

Or I might just say "hey this thing is only good for 15's" and forget all this stuff. Then if I run a 13 and they gripe, I'll just say "sorry, I didn't know it was so fast!!"

GMC_DUDE
Old 12-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

GMC_DUDE
NHRA track:

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/ETQuickRef.html

Also:

Adjustment to E.T. requirements
In a move designed to encourage more street vehicles to compete on the quarter-mile, NHRA has revised its requirements for roll bars, SFI Spec clutches, driveshaft loops, driver restraints, and certain protective clothing.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2005, a roll bar and an SFI 16.1 driver-restraint system will be mandatory on any vehicle running 11.49 or quicker and for convertibles running 13.49 or quicker. An SFI 3.2A/1 jacket will be mandatory for all drivers in vehicles running between 10.00 to 11.49 seconds. On any car running 11.49 or quicker, a flywheel and clutch meeting SFI Spec 1.1 or 1.2 and a flywheel shield meeting SFI Spec 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, or 9.1 will be mandatory. A driveshaft loop will be required on all cars running 13.99 or quicker and utilizing slicks, except vehicles equipped with street tires running 11.49 or slower.

...So if you plan on running 4HI like I do then until you run lower than 11.49 a driveshaft loop would not be needed.

Ken