Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

gonna drop 10k on the truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its such a headache too.. i work all the time and so does my mechanic(he would work on my truck after hours) I need 4k for the tranny, 5k for the turbo, probably 1k to pay him, and 500 for a dyno tune. not to mention fuel upgrades. i dont kno if it comes with the trick performance kit. 400 for the 4 inch exhaust. and then i need tires and will like to get some dints out of my truck.

i love my truck it comes in handy sometimes to haul stuff and had lots of room. but the gas milage after the turbo is goin waay down and i would have to use premium most likely right?

my other options are, motorcycle, srt4,350z.

is it going to be worth it to keep the truck and turbo it since its going to hurt fuel economy really bad? also how hard is the install.. thanks guys
Old 09-07-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I picked up OVER 5 mpg with the trick kit. The only hard part is keepin your dam foot outta it
Old 09-07-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

how did u like it? how much hp did u pick up?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say hold off on some of the body work (depending on what needs done). The only thing worse than getting spanked by a nice truck, is getting spanked by a beat up truck.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

most guys pick up mileage with the turbo, and yes depending on your driving style. just dont punch it at every light and you will be fine.

it looks like your really excited to get it done right away, i would be too but you need to take it one step at a time, if you rush it it will end bad.

i would do tranny, rear end, tires, fuel, then turbo and tune in that order.

it always ends up costing more so save up now and take your time!!
Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea ur right. one thing ? tho. am i gonna have to go to a muffler shop to get the turbo manifold hooked up to the exhaust?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:59 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Originally Posted by Spoolin
STS ain't bad either...hell I have one!
You're not being fair.....

to STS just ribbin' ya bra
Old 09-07-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kw05silverado
yea ur right. one thing ? tho. am i gonna have to go to a muffler shop to get the turbo manifold hooked up to the exhaust?
No, it will just replace the exhaust manifold and crossover pipe, not much different than installing a set of headers. It's my understanding it will all bolt right up to the factory cat back.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:10 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

I am just like you.. probably a month or two ahead of you.

I bought
-a used complete radix mp112 kit
-flt lvl5 4l65e
-full mendrel bent exhaust including headers and cats
-other misc things like catch can and efans

All the labor is gonna be my own and a mechanic friend who will cost me beer and food and thats it. I didn't even do rims/brakes and i'm a bit over your budget.

My two choices for FI was the radix and a front mount turbo... If you can go midly used go for it, but be careful because if the used kit is incomplete or well used it could cost you as much as new. When I say complete I mean intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, and ALL associated parts

My advice is get the tranny done (I'd suggest flt lvl 5 4l65 at minmum) and what ever you do, don't skimp on parts.. esp when getting near the end of your budget. I had to spread out my purchases over several months so I could go over my budget and get all the right parts.

FLT may cost a bit more.. but it's the best, and when you talk to chuck or andy on the phone and then you see the trany and all the care they put into it you'll see you get what you pay for.

Do it once right... or do it several times

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
it looks like your really excited to get it done right away, i would be too but you need to take it one step at a time, if you rush it it will end bad.

i would do tranny, rear end, tires, fuel, then turbo and tune in that order.

it always ends up costing more so save up now and take your time!!
YES, YES, YES all of this is so true.. stand back, take a breath and think it through. The rush of getting all the stuff for the truck can be overwhelming, but you need to take your time. When you do and you put it together and it all just works... its gonna be amazing... I'm still on the putting it together stage.. taking my time and doing things nice and slow and gradual. A weekend at a time

Last edited by PSM; 09-07-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kw05silverado
I'm pretty sure Tricks kit is like mine and you will have to make the final connection from the down pipe to the cat back yourself.

If you are thinking about a front mount, PM me as I am building a hand full of full kits. They will be intercooled and include everything but the fuel system at a great price. There are several guys on here who have my hot pipes and can attest to the quality.

Quick Reply: gonna drop 10k on the truck