Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

gonna drop 10k on the truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the advice..

so i would have to get rid of one header and replace that with the turbo mani and that will have to be coustom fabbed bc of my ory pipe..

i thought about a s/c so i could keep my headers and not have to mess with my exhaust. but i love turbos too much.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I would just sell the headers and ory. They aren't really going to help you with a turbo setup, and get a stock manifold for the drivers side.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

good thing i kept my stock manifolds and y pipe.. ill just gut the cats. thanks i forgot about that and ill make some money back from selling the headers.

what kind of tuner and fuel system should i look at buying? sts recommends a handheld programmer and ls1 injectors?

also what gearing should i go with the rear end? i do 80 percent city driving btw.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would use a Walbro 255 intank fuel pump and the 8.1 marine injectors are 43lbs/hr and a popular choice. They are plug and play minus tuning for them. As far as tuning, Is there any tuners in your area? An in person tune is always best with any type of FI. If you wanted to learn how to tune, I could sell you EFILive and you could do your own tuning. Personal I would keep the gears you have, Turbos like to be loaded and 3.23 would do that, but if you wanted to change them I wouldn't go any lower then 3.73
Old 09-07-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for ur help.. how much is ur EFIlive and how hard is it to tune?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kw05silverado
...how hard is it to tune?
WOAH...that's a loaded question!!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kw05silverado
thanks for ur help.. how much is ur EFIlive and how hard is it to tune?
With a V2 interface cable it's $749. Tuning is a VERY steep learning curve, but well worth it in the end. Generally requires committed people several months of doing a lot of reading and research to get a good understanding how all this fuel injection and tuning really works. EFILive is some very capable tuning software, it's not a plug and play kind of box. You have to know what your doing, or be willing to take the time to learn it.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:07 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First, Congratulations on catching the MOD bug....Now you should know that 10K is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

If you are considering FI you should think about a few things before you make your purchase. What are your power goals? What do you plan to do witht he truck? Daily Driver? Quality and completeness of the kit i.e. does it come with everything you need to install it? Is your town controlled by any state regs on pollution (CARB #)?

After you have thought these through you need to think about how you are going to obtain the goal you have chosen. The one bit of advice I can give you, do not install an STS kit. If you choose to go turbo and are looking for a kit, Trick or KB would be your answer.

NOW, if you chose to go with a supercharger, there are quite a few choices as well. You would need your goals and above mentioned questions answered before you make this decision as well. Between the available superchargers you have Vortech, Procharger, Whipple, Magna Charger, and Kenne Bell. Of the kits mentioned I think you would be happiest with a positive displacement supercharger like the Magna Charger or screw S/C. Trucks like low end torque to get them moving off the line, and the centrifugal just do not get that unless you modify other aspects of the drive train.

That being said, after you have given the questions some thought feel free to post up your findings and we will do our best to help you with your decision.

Hope this helps.

BC
Old 09-08-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with a 80E... ask me why...
Old 09-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remember the days when 10k bought you a fast vehicle? now today that amount of money gets you a trans and some bolt ons

Quick Reply: gonna drop 10k on the truck