Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Got a 4.8L, What can I do to get some more HP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a 4.8L, What can I do to get some more HP?

I know about supercharging but what else can I do beside that to get some good HP gain out of my 4.8L. All I have right now is a Maganflow single in/dual out muffler (dumped), descreened MAF, and a UPD intake. I've though about getting some ASM or TOG headers but what else is there. Maybe ASP pullies (don't know about the gains) or a cam (don't know if this will help me without any other mods). If a cam is a good option, can you recommend a certain one?

I have a 3.42 open diff. rear end, which I'll hopefully switch to a 3.73 Eaton posi unit in the future. I don't have the money or know how to do an engine swap (5.3L or 6.0L), but I sure wish I did.

Also, how many of you guys are from Northern CA (Sacramento area), just curious. I'd like to know about any good performance shops in the area and the names/adresses of a dyno shop in this area.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Got a 4.8L, What can I do to get some more HP?

-Flex a Lite electric fans
-Yank 3000 stall Torque converter (if you have a automatic tranny).
-Z06 camshaft or compcams 212/218.
-ASM headers.
-NX or NOS.
That's the only things that come to my mind right now but you can check several of the sponsors like www.tbyrne.com they have a lot of parts for your truck and have a great customer service.
I've also heard a lot of good stuff about www.thunderracing.com/

Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

VEry clean truck you have there. I would go with a set of 4.10's instead of 3.73s since you have the 4.8 and larger rims. {changes your gear ratio} like Mexico said go to those and you will find some nice goodies for you truck. Also talk to Blownchevy because he is a sponser and can hook you up on mods. He might also be close to you in CA.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. guys

With the Z06 or Comp cam is there a lot of tuning that needs to be done if I get one installed? Or is it just pretty much install it and go?

Also, with the converter, is the 3000 pretty streetable. I use my truck primarily for weekend driving but would also use it for trips and whatnot. I wouldn't want something that would effect that type of driving too much.

Sorry for all the questions, when it comes to modding engines, I'm a relative newbie.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:16 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get the Z06 or comp cam you will need upgraded springs, at the very least Z06, better to go with comp 918s. Get hardened pushrods as well. Tuning will enhance your performance...cam or not, and while it should run fine with the cam and no tuning, it wouldn't hurt at all to get some custom tuning for that cam. You also might need the TB plate hole drilled a little bigger if there are idling problems.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

What about the torque converter, what is a good brand and a general price range? Also, what exactly are you getting by installing one of these? And my other question from above, are they streetable or mostly for strip? What, if any, are some of the issues with having a converter for street use.

Oh ya, thanks again for the replies fellas. Red, thanks for the compliment on my truck. I'm pretty much done with appearance mods, now I want to get some money saved up for speed goodies
Old 09-13-2003, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tbyrne is running a special on the yank converters I believe, not positive though. The TT300 is around 700-750. Look around at different posts on the convertors. The TT3000 keeps the stock towing ability, yet the tt3200 limits it to 4000 pounds. You would need a tranny cooler, if you dont already have one (factory or aftermarket) If you have the towing package I believe you will have a tranny cooler.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

What about the torque converter, what is a good brand and a general price range? Also, what exactly are you getting by installing one of these? And my other question from above, are they streetable or mostly for strip? What, if any, are some of the issues with having a converter for street use. Oh ya, thanks again for the replies fellas. Red, thanks for the compliment on my truck. I'm pretty much done with appearance mods, now I want to get some money saved up for speed goodies
Yank seems to be the best for the trucks. The more ya pay the better stuff typically gets. You are allowing yourself to get into the power band WAY faster and multiplies input torque. Tons of people use them on the street. The larger the diameter the closer it feels to stock. I have a nice write up on converters that I explain in english what they do. I'll post it up when I get home or do a search for it on this site.

A good set of headers will help a considerable amount. Even more so with a cam swap. If you run that Z06 cam, have in installed advanced ~4* to bring the powerband back down of it. Just besure to get the Piston to Valve issues checked by whomever is installing it. You will NEED new springs like everyone else said. I would do a cam after a converter install.

I second going to a 4.10:1 gear set, you won't see too much of a gain with the 3.73:1, if your tires are taller which it appears they are no doubt the 4.10:1.

ASP pullies are good for 8-12rwhp. I'd upgrade to a 130A alternator and use the overdrive alt pulley to keep charging problems at a minimum. If you decide to go with electric fans, I'd skip the ASP until you get a 200A alt to keep up.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

What about the torque converter, what is a good brand and a general price range? Also, what exactly are you getting by installing one of these? And my other question from above, are they streetable or mostly for strip? What, if any, are some of the issues with having a converter for street use. Oh ya, thanks again for the replies fellas. Red, thanks for the compliment on my truck. I'm pretty much done with appearance mods, now I want to get some money saved up for speed goodies
Yank seems to be the best for the trucks. The more ya pay the better stuff typically gets. You are allowing yourself to get into the power band WAY faster and multiplies input torque. Tons of people use them on the street. The larger the diameter the closer it feels to stock. I have a nice write up on converters that I explain in english what they do. I'll post it up when I get home or do a search for it on this site.

A good set of headers will help a considerable amount. Even more so with a cam swap. If you run that Z06 cam, have in installed advanced ~4* to bring the powerband back down of it. Just besure to get the Piston to Valve issues checked by whomever is installing it. You will NEED new springs like everyone else said. I would do a cam after a converter install.

I second going to a 4.10:1 gear set, you won't see too much of a gain with the 3.73:1, if your tires are taller which it appears they are no doubt the 4.10:1.

ASP pullies are good for 8-12rwhp. I'd upgrade to a 130A alternator and use the overdrive alt pulley to keep charging problems at a minimum. If you decide to go with electric fans, I'd skip the ASP until you get a 200A alt to keep up.

Cool, thanks for the post! I'll definitely be saving up for a Yank 3000 converter, ASM or TOG headers, 4.10 gears, and some eletric fans. As for the cam, I'll wait and see what gains I get from the first set of goodies and go from there. I'll have to do a search for the converter write-up you did.

Hey, what about if I ever do decide to get a supercharger, are the torque converter and cam (Z06 or Comp cam that was posted earlier) still going to work effectively or will they need to be changed?
Old 09-13-2003, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Cool, thanks for the post! I'll definitely be saving up for a Yank 3000 converter, ASM or TOG headers, 4.10 gears, and some eletric fans. As for the cam, I'll wait and see what gains I get from the first set of goodies and go from there. I'll have to do a search for the converter write-up you did.

Hey, what about if I ever do decide to get a supercharger, are the torque converter and cam (Z06 or Comp cam that was posted earlier) still going to work effectively or will they need to be changed?
Oh yeah, that blower will work very nicely with the a Z06 or Comp 212/218. Both are dual pattern the Z06 is a 204/216 I think (I am tried so my mind is slow now) but has 2* or retard ground into it...hence why I'd advnace it a few degrees. The Z06 cam can be picked up cheap but that Comp 212 will make more by having more intake duration.

That converter's going to work killer with that stall converter...if you are going Twin Screw/Roots good luck with traction! I think the Yank 3K would be better matched with a Centrifual type blower; the lower stall 2400-2600 Yank for a Twin Screw/Roots.

Ford's Lightning comes with a 1200rpm stall! Most upgrades are around 2200-2600...

Quick Reply: Got a 4.8L, What can I do to get some more HP?