Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Got my LPP LT's, and am very disappointed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCountryx
This is the hi temp rtv I used, not on the gaskets, just in the slip fit pipes, when assembled you can't tell it's there. It's just what I did and I like it, deffinately not a must have for everyone.

Did i miss something? why do you need a new O2 sensor? Oh I'd also weld in a bung for a wideband just incase you want one later on. Use the plug that came with the headers to seal it off for now.
I used this on the slip joints with my StainlessWorks headers, and on the gaskets that came with my Gibson shorties that I had on there previously, it worked well for me, no leaks with either
Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so i got a few things, including a new OEM gasket in case one of the two is screwed from blown Head bolts. And i don't understand how these are suppose to seal. It's a thin piece of metal...how does metal seal to metal? Am i suppose to apply something to it first for these type of gaskets?

My big prob right now is that i cannot find band clamps or Stage 8 bolts anywher ein the city. Can someone suggest a good place for these? Thanks!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clamps will be at an exhaust shop or performance shope or ordered. Bolts any hardware store should have them
Old 05-01-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SUPERCHARGE
Ok, so i got a few things, including a new OEM gasket in case one of the two is screwed from blown Head bolts. And i don't understand how these are suppose to seal. It's a thin piece of metal...how does metal seal to metal? Am i suppose to apply something to it first for these type of gaskets?

My big prob right now is that i cannot find band clamps or Stage 8 bolts anywher ein the city. Can someone suggest a good place for these? Thanks!
Carl sent you a link to the band clamps.

Heres the Stage 8 bolts.
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=9&pcid=301
Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

PB blaster for sure and a nut removal tool made for stripped nut heads is nice to have on hand, the stock collector bots like to round off. A thread chaser for the header bolts is good to have on hand, I have had some gall on me a little, but not always. I recomend new bolts or studs. Stage 8 stainless bolts are less than 40 bucks but are very nice pieces... or 100 dollar ARP studs Try to wear gloves as much as possible to keep em pretty, lol. Get band clamps and ditch the u-bolts A steped band clamp will not work without notching though on the passenger collector due to bung placement. I used a flat 1" wide band clamp there. I also used hi temp copper based rtv (sensor safe). Just a thin bead on the slip joints before assembly and not a leak to be found. Bonus is they slip right back apart if needed!
Ok, I found a place that sells Band clamps out here, I am in business now baybeee! I'm not understanding what BIG COUNTRY meant about having a problem with the passenger collector and bung placement though... why wouldn't a standard 2 bolt band clamp fit here? I'm studying the exhaust and am failing to understand how the bung would intrude with the clamp.

For those who have installed these, anything I should know about the 2 bolt band clamps not fitting?

thanks.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I like to overlap the bandclamp past the slip joint so that the clamp is actully wrapping both pipes. The way Torca torctite or Walker Mega clamps do. The Passengerside bung will not allow you to overlap this way because when the pipes are fitted together the bung is too close to the slip joint. Stick them together, you will see.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I like to overlap the bandclamp past the slip joint so that the clamp is actully wrapping both pipes. The way Torca torctite or Walker Mega clamps do. The Passengerside bung will not allow you to overlap this way because when the pipes are fitted together the bung is too close to the slip joint. Stick them together, you will see.
You think they could re-design that instead of copying Pacesetter's poor design.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

OOH, I see, I didn't know you overlapped the slip joint. But is overlapping really such a good idea? By doing such, you're only using the torque of one of the two bolts to actually tighten the fitting while the other goes over the slip joint and only squeeze around one tube.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

stepped band clamp is what you need. Dont settle for anything else. You can use a wrap of aluminum foil as a gasket.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
stepped band clamp is what you need. Dont settle for anything else. You can use a wrap of aluminum foil as a gasket.
Ok, I see, i was wrong, these are designed to overlap. they apparently had a few designs at the performance shop, so i'll look at all of them.

Quick Reply: Got my LPP LT's, and am very disappointed!