Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Got Nelson Tune in, now truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 08:46 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Got Nelson Tune in, now truck won't start

Got it last night, put it in. At first it wouldn't start, but it finally did after about 5 or 6 times.
Definitely smoother feeling and more streetable/driveable what with the Vig 3200.
Went to log it with EFI Live and was seeing 30 degrees timing at WOT more or less, seemed like the computer was getting used to it.
Through the shifts I saw -10 degrees of timing. I guess he didn't pull TM because it felt the same as before.
It didnt pull any harder than normal, so I don't know what's up.
I just went out 5 minutes ago to go to the store, and it won't start. I tried at least 20 times, nothing.
It threw a code, something about the password to the anti-theft system being incorrect. Anyone know anything about this??
I'm going to have to put my stock PCM back in now until Allen e-mails me back
Old 04-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably need to do the passkey relearn. Here are the steps to follow.

ATTENTION: Your vehicle may not start unless this procedure is performed.

GM introduced an anti-theft system in 1996 and newer vehicles.

In order for your vehicle to start, you must perform the passkey relearn procedure.

If your vehicle’s battery is low, it is recommended a battery charger be hooked up at this time.

This Procedure will take approximately 20-30 minutes.

After your PCM is installed, please perform the following.

PROCEDURE:

1. Insert key and attempt to start the vehicle and leave the key in the ON position.

In some vehicles, the Battery and Security light will blink for several seconds. The Security light will then remain ON. Leave the ignition ON until the Security light goes OFF. This may take up to 10 minutes.

2. When the Security light goes OFF, turn the ignition to the OFF position.
Leave ignition OFF for 20 Seconds.

3. Attempt to start the vehicle again and leave the key in the ON position.
The Security and Battery light will continue to blink. The Security light will then remain ON after a few secs. Leave the ignition in the ON position until the Security light goes OFF. This may take up to 10 minutes.

4. Turn the ignition to the OFF position for 20 Seconds.

5. Repeat step three and four ONE more time.

6. Once this entire procedure has been completed (three times) your vehicle will start.

Note: Some vehicles perform the relearn in a different manner. You may notice your security light, battery light and abs light will alternate. Once the security light is left out of the sequence, that is considered one step. Repeat the procedure two more times and on the fourth time your vehicle will start.

I have also seen vehicles include one or more other dash lights during the blinking sequence. What your looking for is a sequence of events, including the dash lights, that are in a sequence. After about 10mins, this sequence will change, that is considered one step.

FAQs:

- The procedure was just completed now my car is making a clicking noise when I attempt to start it.

Your battery may have become too weak to crank the engine over.

- I performed the procedure and my vehicle still doesn’t start

Please repeat the procedure again.

I hope this helps.

-pritch55
Old 04-10-2004, 09:18 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

That was it, thanks
Old 04-10-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Pitch has a good point. Give his method a shot and see what happens. The tumbler in the steering column reads the key. If the correct resistane value isnt read and sent to the BCM, the truck will crank and sound like its going to fire. But it will die! If that doesnt help, Id give Allen a shout. This is the first instance of a problem I have heard of with a tune from him. Its still pulling 10* between shifts huh. Did you ask him to get rid of TM?
Old 04-10-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Dam! Posted too late!
Old 04-10-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So how did it turn out? Can you still feel the TM in between the shift with the stall?
Old 04-10-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will this occur to me, I have LS1 edit and I'm going to attempt tuning myself. Will this pass key thing happen to me?
Old 04-10-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2000_Silverado_SS
Will this occur to me, I have LS1 edit and I'm going to attempt tuning myself. Will this pass key thing happen to me?
No it should not!
Old 04-10-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000_Silverado_SS
I think this only happens when you remove the PCM and put another one in. I guess they are coded or something. The process listed above works every time I have help with a PCM swap or whatever. You shouldn't have a problem though.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=Chingon]
Through the shifts I saw -10 degrees of timing. I guess he didn't pull TM because it felt the same as before.
It didnt pull any harder than normal, so I don't know what's up.
QUOTE]

Thats weird, I thought he usually takes some if not most out unless you tell him to remove ALL of it....couldnt see him leaving it all in. I hope mine turns out ok, waiting to get the truck back from the shop to install it.

Quick Reply: Got Nelson Tune in, now truck won't start