Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Got Nelson Tune in, now truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 10:34 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, negative 10 degrees. I asked him to take it off. I don't know what happened. I e-mailed him so I'm just waiting to hear from him.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the timing issue. With all TM in the truck it can pull upwards of 30* timing between shifts! So he probably pulled about half or a little more TM out, that is hisnorm. I don't know about with the stall in the truck how it will feel. I know that my truck without the stall you could tell a definite difference with partial TM out and then with the shift kit and no TM it was like a new truck. I have heard that stalls of any kind "buffer" the harshness of the shifts, i.e. it will still feel soft even though there is less TM. I hope this helps you out!
Old 04-11-2004, 03:46 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, but I'm not talking about how the shifts feel. I'm talking about the amount of timing is being pulled, -10 degrees, through the shifts.
Allen got back to me and said he removed all engine TM, but left all the tranny TM in so that must be why all that timing is being pulled through the shifts.
I just don't get what pulling the engine TM did because I saw the same amount of timing being pulled through the shifts before the Nelson tune was in.
Do you WANT tranny TM still in there? How are all these guys breaking their tires loose at WOT on the 1-2 shift? Mine sure didn't with tranny TM in
Part throttle feels awesome, regular driving is way better. WOT leaves something to be desired though. I guess I need to break it in more
Old 04-11-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

So your not able to punch it at 20-30 and break the tires loose? And not even a chirp from 1-2?

Maybe you just have much better hooking tires than me.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
So your not able to punch it at 20-30 and break the tires loose? And not even a chirp from 1-2?

Maybe you just have much better hooking tires than me.
I can't even do that with my GY Eagle GT2's .. and they suck!

The engine TQM pulls timing as well. I'm not sure when it does though. Maybe after the shift. Does your timing hold steady pulling through a gear at WOT?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:04 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds to me that is is working perfect. You want some timeing retard between shifts.....or would you rather dump money into a trans right now?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

I have 295/50 16s BFGs, and break them loose anytime i punch it over 15mph. A 1-2 spin always at WOT. And i get a little churp when i punch it at 50mph. I have alot of rubber on the ground, but i guess these tires arent good for traction.

So with your Radix, on the street you dont churp the tires going into 2nd? How can that be? Do i have something messed up, or just bad tires?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chingon
Yea, but I'm not talking about how the shifts feel. I'm talking about the amount of timing is being pulled, -10 degrees, through the shifts.
Allen got back to me and said he removed all engine TM, but left all the tranny TM in so that must be why all that timing is being pulled through the shifts.
I just don't get what pulling the engine TM did because I saw the same amount of timing being pulled through the shifts before the Nelson tune was in.
Do you WANT tranny TM still in there? How are all these guys breaking their tires loose at WOT on the 1-2 shift? Mine sure didn't with tranny TM in
Part throttle feels awesome, regular driving is way better. WOT leaves something to be desired though. I guess I need to break it in more
Unless you have a shift kit and servos Allen will not pull all of the TM out of the tranny. There are a few guys out there that have all the Tm out of their stock trannies, but you stand the chance of trashing that sucker.

What's up with your WOT driving? What are your shifts set at?

This might sound weird but everytime I get with Allen for some tuning it takes a day or two for the PCM to really learn the new settings. So give it a few days and it should be better.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

2001, you live right by the drag strip huh? I cant wait to get back home and make a few passes there with the new mods.

Do they have that under 12 rule that you have to have a cage, and all the other stuff?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
2001, you live right by the drag strip huh? I cant wait to get back home and make a few passes there with the new mods.

Do they have that under 12 rule that you have to have a cage, and all the other stuff?
Are you talking about Academy Dragway?

Well, not too far from it. I'm in Fort Worth most of the time, but here on leave right now. Not too sure about the 12 sec rule; I believe that they do inforce that.

You could get one or two runs in before they noticed!

Quick Reply: Got Nelson Tune in, now truck won't start