Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Granatelli Maf worth getting??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Granatelli Maf worth getting??

just wondering if the granatelli maf is worth getting. any feedback here?
Old 12-23-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nope ... not worth it.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:25 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You would be better off pissing into the wind.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Regular

Old 12-24-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
You would be better off pissing into the wind.

Old 12-24-2004, 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

Lightbulb Try This Instead!

Originally Posted by 4.8redchev
These guys are right, don't waste your money...please!!! Granatelli MAF sensor is a joke.

If you want to do a MAF sensor upgrade, try this instead. I have done this mode to my truck, and I am totally impressed, and it works great!!!
Purchase an OEM GM Mass Air sensor, but buy the one made for the 2001 -2004 2500HD with the 8.1Vortec Big Block. The unit flows more cfm, and it plugs in the connector exactly the same and it fits the same as your 4.8 does, because the size of the housing ends are the same. The beauty of it is, that it's an OEM design, and when installed correctly your trucks stock ECM with mate with the new airflow cfm values produced by the 8.1's MAF.

When you install the sensor, make sure you dissconnect both bat. terminals first. Install the sensor. Then discharge the electrical system by touching the un-hooked battery terminals together. Then hook the battery back up, correctly. Start the truck and let it idle for 3 minutes. Turn off the truck for 1 minute. Start again, and drive at regular speeds untill 60mph, at that time go to WOT and hold untill 75mph. This is a manual "re-learn" process for the ECM. The truck will continue to change the way it runs, each time you start and drive, because the ECM monitors all functions and always tries to learn your driving style.

I work at a GM Dealership, so I just used the GM Tech 2 OBDII Scan Tool to re-calibrate my ECM and set to re-learn process. It's just alot eaisier, and quicker without have to do all the driving. So if you have a buddy that works at a GM Dealer, or has access to a Tech 2 ScanTool, then ask them for a favor.

If you'd like, email me and I'll get you the GM part number for the MAF Sensor.

Later.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:47 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

i like GM partsguys idea i just descreenec my MAF and it works fine for me my bro works for gm and could get a deal on the one partsguy was talking about i might try that though thanks gmpartsguy
Old 12-24-2004, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMPartsGuy
These guys are right, don't waste your money...please!!! Granatelli MAF sensor is a joke.

Purchase an OEM GM Mass Air sensor, but buy the one made for the 2001 -2004 2500HD with the 8.1Vortec Big Block.

If you'd like, email me and I'll get you the GM part number for the MAF Sensor.

Later.

Post a part number please.

Thanks for the info.
=Dave
Old 12-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sfj
i like GM partsguys idea i just descreenec my MAF and it works fine for me my bro works for gm and could get a deal on the one partsguy was talking about i might try that though thanks gmpartsguy
whaT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DESCREEN IT, I DID IT TO MINE IT WENT OUT ACOPULE MONTHS LATER.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

What is the benefit of the 8.1 maf? I realize it flows more cfm, but Is it "worth it"? Would I benefit from it over stock on(in) a ps1c(9lbs)4.8 m5? I'm trying to tune(learn to tune) with hp tuners 1.5 and I wonder if the 8.1 maf would help or hurt things. The truck is a 99; is the 2001-04 8.1 maf going to be a "plug and play" if you think it would be of benefit to me? Thanks in advance for any info.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Maf worth getting??