Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Granatelli Maf worth getting??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 01:59 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our MAFs are more than large enough already. They have the potential to flow more air than our motors can produce without major upgrades. Any gain people see from modifying them is usually due to a change in AFR IMO.

Ask any major tuner and they will say that you should keep the stock MAF. Aftermarket or ported ones can be a pain in the *** to tune around. Also I have seen people have tranny issues due to ported units reading funny and causing line pressure changes in the trans.

I just don't see it is a great mod.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:05 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

leave it alone. and if the housings are the same size how can it flow more cfm's?
Old 12-25-2004, 11:38 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Our MAFs are more than large enough already. They have the potential to flow more air than our motors can produce without major upgrades.

Good advice.....There is no power to be found here until you are way inside of the motor.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Our MAFs are more than large enough already. They have the potential to flow more air than our motors can produce without major upgrades. Any gain people see from modifying them is usually due to a change in AFR IMO.

Ask any major tuner and they will say that you should keep the stock MAF. Aftermarket or ported ones can be a pain in the *** to tune around. Also I have seen people have tranny issues due to ported units reading funny and causing line pressure changes in the trans.

I just don't see it is a great mod.

I think thats what happened to mine. I had the superchips programmer and since I descreened it I was having issues of line preasure allowing it to slip everytime it would shift. I would just leave well enough alone, it will only cost you more money in the long run.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The screen on the MAF is there to equalize and polarize the air flowing across the resistance wires. It prevents turbulence in the airflow from producing eratic MAF frequencies. Removing the screen is basically destroying a $250 part and sabotage to your PCM, but yet there are still MANY people out there that believe it's great.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default Believe in the Screen!

Originally Posted by BIG VINCE
whaT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DESCREEN IT, I DID IT TO MINE IT WENT OUT ACOPULE MONTHS LATER.
When you remove the screen, it totally screws up the airflow and values coming in to the sensor, and it let's crap come in the MAF sensor and bounce off the Thermopack sensor, the little thing inside the MAF with wires going to the top and bottom. Crap like dirt and debris, that will destroy the sensor. Trust me, the MAF is very fragile. Don't drop one, or handle it roughly. Very sensitive. Leave the screen in please. Taking it out, has absolutely no effect on performance, just your wallet, it causes you to buy another one!
Old 12-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Default 8.1 MAF Part #

Originally Posted by diamondd2
Post a part number please.

Thanks for the info.
=Dave
I go back to work on Monday, so I'll get the GM Part Number then Monday night, I'll post the pn# for you.

Also, try to find a used ECM for your truck. Like a defective one, at a dealership. One they are going to throw away after the warranty hold time limit is up. Eventhough it's defective, it can still be re-mapped, unless it's physically broken or damaged. 90% of all ECM's warrantied by a Dealer, and mis-diagnosed, and replaced for no reason. That's how I got both of mine. I'll keep my eye open for you.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Default Need functional MAF?

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
I think thats what happened to mine. I had the superchips programmer and since I descreened it I was having issues of line preasure allowing it to slip everytime it would shift. I would just leave well enough alone, it will only cost you more money in the long run.
You're right....that's what happened. Just use the OEM MAF. If you need a replacement. I have one used GM MAF sensor left. It works perfectly.

Cheap!
Old 12-25-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the offer, but I already have one comming. My buddy owns a shop and he gets some pretty good discounts through dealerships. He hooked me up preatty cheap for one. Thanks anyway I appreaciate it!!

BTW if you would, I am interested in getting electric fans for my truck, but I think the current price for Flexlites is insane. Do they still make LS1 fans that fit the Firebird and camaro that would fit my truck? If so could you PM me a price and part number
Old 12-25-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Granatelli MAF is not worth it IMO. It made my truck surge when letting off the throttle from a roll and it would make my transmission shift EXTREMELY hard randomly. It also will cause some engines to knock. There are better upgrades.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Maf worth getting??