Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

GT11 on the Denali?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT11 on the Denali?

Since my mast install and the guys over here screwing my install up, i've decided I want to take out the VVT on my 6.2 and replace it with the LS3 gears valley and install a GT11...

Just the other day I was about to tune an '09 5.3 with the GT11, and before the driveshaft broke at 5200rpm it managed to squeeze out 340hp/tq... Something which I think the 6.2 would grow with...

Mods installed so far are:

SLP UD
ARH Headers
AFE CAI
MAST Escalade L92
Comp 918 springs

Haven't dynoed the truck yet, but to be honest, i know the VVT has probably taken a crap on me and it isn't worth the hassle.

Opinions accepted!
Old 05-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Go custom cam or stick with what you got IMO.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:53 AM
TECH Regular

any reason for saying so?

the duration of the gt-11 has a nice split, similar to what a lot of ppl are talking about for the L92 heads.. the lift i would never go more, im looking for a cam that I can take to work, home, dinner etc without ppl looking over thinking im a boy racer....

GT-11 Specs:

215/231 duration
.631/.644
118.0 CL
Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was considering swapping my custom grind out for the GT-11. I love my cam but I just want something a little more everyday user friendly and thats the cam I found.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

Ive been searchin high and low for performance gains on this cam? There's only a couple of posts on LS1tech that talk about it... anyone have experience with dyno graphs regarding the cam?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by norris_83
Ive been searchin high and low for performance gains on this cam? There's only a couple of posts on LS1tech that talk about it... anyone have experience with dyno graphs regarding the cam?
Just out of curiosity. What would be th difference in performance going from my cam (in a my sig) to this one. But no haven't found any myself. Lingenfelter's website gives you a good idea of what the cam was designed to accomplish though.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

What happened with the Mast VVT cam Norris? Is it running at all? What's it doing?These things are supposed to work, if you get the tuning right. I believe the problem may be the tuning, not the BS that Mast is telling you about the Comp phaser being incompatible with the Mast Cam. I spoke to Horace at Mast the other day and asked about the the phaser and he was telling me that Comp's phaser only has 12 degrees of range, which is not what Comp advertises, which is 20 degrees vs. the Stock 50. I hate when these manufacturers/vendors just conveniently blame another one for whatever goes wrong, instead of trying to sell you all of the parts that you need for an install in the first place.
BTW: GM High Tech did an article on a Comp VVT Cam install and they had this to say about the tuning: "Tuning of the factory computer was done through EFILive, which allows manipulation of the cam timing as seen in the graph. The challenge of tuning a motor with VVT is that every change of the cam timing must have a corresponding change to the ignition timing and fuel tables. In one example, a change to the cam timing caused the PCM to enter a different cell on the spark table, which killed the timing and power in the mid to upper rpm as the result".
I wouldn't write off the VVT just yet, unless you are convinced that something went wrong with the install, because I really believe that it works well with heavier vehicles like ours.
Maybe you could try getting a tune e-mailed to you from someone like Wheatley. That's what I did. I honestly was sceptical at first, but it really woke my truck up. Wheatley does custom tuning for most of the VVT cam guys I've seen on here and he obviously knows what he's doing, so he should be able to give you at least a base tune that works.
just my 2 cents...
Old 05-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Don't give up on the VVT, it is really a gift from GM for anyone hot rodding their truck. Check out Comps four cams that they have available, and try not to believe what one shop says about another. It is very easy to confuse crank degrees with cam degrees. The Comp limiter has enough phasing adjustment for the valve relief available (or lack of it) in the stock pistons. My cam swap with VVT has been delayed for a couple of weeks, but I should have it done by the end of the month. The VVT lets you dial in your retard to optimize the dynamic compression with the cam you choose. If you cam has too much advance and you are knocking, without VVT you can only pull timing which also pulls the response out of the engine. With VVT you can retard the cam a few degrees and leave the timing and response.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:34 AM
TECH Regular

I love the fact i had the VVT, this is the only reason i didn't go the conventional way of swapping out the cam gear to a 3bolt and installing anyone of the LSX cams on the market...

With HPTs, they have a table for variable spark. I had copied this table over to my HO and LO tables just so I can see exactly what it is I was commanding, and continue to add spark onto those tables until I saw knock...

I've tuned the idle so well that my STFTs are in between +/- 1.5%.

The problem I'm facing i think is from the install. I switch the denali on and my oil pressure is at 3/4s... I drive around for 20mins or so and it goes back to the normal 1/4 at idle, 1/2 at cruise and 3/4 at wot...

Plus what i find funny is the only reason i bought the mast was because its lobe was 116 compared to the 114 comp offered. Sounds like a 112 :/

I don't feel that VVT kick anymore like I did before after the cam install. The truck still moves well, but not to my liking. I'd rather install an LSX cam that at least doesn't annoy the fiance, neighbours and in all stops giving me a headache with the endless timing over advance code!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by norris_83
I love the fact i had the VVT, this is the only reason i didn't go the conventional way of swapping out the cam gear to a 3bolt and installing anyone of the LSX cams on the market...

With HPTs, they have a table for variable spark. I had copied this table over to my HO and LO tables just so I can see exactly what it is I was commanding, and continue to add spark onto those tables until I saw knock...

I've tuned the idle so well that my STFTs are in between +/- 1.5%.

The problem I'm facing i think is from the install. I switch the denali on and my oil pressure is at 3/4s... I drive around for 20mins or so and it goes back to the normal 1/4 at idle, 1/2 at cruise and 3/4 at wot...

Plus what i find funny is the only reason i bought the mast was because its lobe was 116 compared to the 114 comp offered. Sounds like a 112 :/

I don't feel that VVT kick anymore like I did before after the cam install. The truck still moves well, but not to my liking. I'd rather install an LSX cam that at least doesn't annoy the fiance, neighbours and in all stops giving me a headache with the endless timing over advance code!
I hear your frustration, my brother. It makes me wonder whether I should f@ck with my cam at all. Maybe I'm just too much of an idealist, but it would just be so nice, since these cams are designed for only one specific engine, if you could buy a kit with all of the necessary parts and the instructions actually told you what to do for tuning. I'm no marketing expert, but something tells me just about everyone would buy a VVT cam for their L92 then. I know I would...