Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

GT2-3 Cam is in and....(problems)-Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:44 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I pulled the rockers off yesterday and re-torqued everything down to 23 ft lb torque. A couple were not completely torqued down to the spec.

I also went to a local ls1 shop and let him hear the noise. He said that it was actually quiet. The noise that I hear is from the headers pulsing from the cam. Kinda sounds like an exhaust leak. He also said that if would get worse if it was a bad lifter after 400 miles. There is literally noise coming from underneath the valve covers.

My oil pressure is higher than stock with the ls6 pump. It sits at about 55 at idle and about 70-75 at 2500 rpm and up.

I am just relieved! I was stressing the last 2 days about this.

My truck runs so much better with this cam. It pulls really hard up top. Thanks blownchevy for doing the homework on this cam. Im really happy that I went with this cam.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea ... the cam's gonna make a little noise. If there was a problem, there would be no doubt about it. I was under the impression this was a LOUD tap coming from the motor. It's VERY noticable if it's a lifter that hasn't primed.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:04 AM

I just got home from my girlfrineds house. At start up, the lifters are very loud, but only for a few seconds. Then the noise goes away. Is that normal?

HOWEVER, on the freeway, the noise got louder for a few mintues. I could hear it with the windows up and the radio off. A few minutes later, the noise went away. This is very puzzling. There is no driveability problems either.

Could the lifter be collapsed? What are the symptoms? How about a clogged pushrod?

I used 5w/30 oil by the way.

This is soo puzzling!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Flyer
I've had this problem a couple of times ... or something similar to it. Definantly check to make sure a bolt didn't back out.

What kind of motor oil do you use?

WHat I'm getting at is it could be a lifter that hasn't primed itself back up. Although, in 400 miles it should have. If it's a very THICK oil, then that could be why. It sounds VERY brutal, but IF that's what it is, the only way I've been able to get them to stop is by cold revving it, not abusively though. I've just revved it enough on a cold start to kick the oil pressure up to 80psi or close to it. It doesn't happen immediatly, but it will eventually.

It could be a bad lifter too like already stated. That's not ot uncommon with bigger cams and stiffer springs.
I am using 5w/30 weight oil.

How does a bad lifter act?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds to me like a sticky lifter., my buddy that moved away had a nice cam in his ws6, and it made the same noise, Some days it would disappear, others it was clear as day.you definatley have got somthing going on here., My gues would be that now you have a different cam with a larger lift, so that increases the stroke on the lifter, Might have been just enough to kepp it from pumping up fully on ocassion. But what do I know, I am only one mechanics opinion.
Good luck
Old 03-02-2006, 09:04 PM

Any help is greatly appreciated. I think it might be a sticky lifter.

The noise is coming from the drivers side, it will get loud and then quiet down some.

Im going to try some thicker oil with a quart of lucas oil. See what that does.

This noise is pissing me off so bad!!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am getting the exact same noise you are, I did a cam swap last week and it sounds just like you said, like an exhaust leak, but mine is in the passenger side?? its sounds like that when cold then it goes away?? I havent played with my truck cause I dont have it tuned yet.... Im more interested to see how yours keeps on doing,.. let us know if that lucas oil does any difference...
Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ap2002
I am getting the exact same noise you are, I did a cam swap last week and it sounds just like you said, like an exhaust leak, but mine is in the passenger side?? its sounds like that when cold then it goes away?? I havent played with my truck cause I dont have it tuned yet.... Im more interested to see how yours keeps on doing,.. let us know if that lucas oil does any difference...
Mine doesnt really do it when it is cold. However, after it heats up, it does it. If yours does it only when cold, that is probably normal because the lifters have to pressurize. Mine will do it for a few minutes and then it goes away. it is frustrating.

I am experiencing no driveability problems either.

I will be sure to report back on the lucas oil.

Hopefully one of us can figure out whats going on.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really dont think the lucas oil is going to solve any problems to be honest with you. You could end up causing more lifters to collapse, (assuming that is the problem here) here is some things to check....With engine idling, strike each rocker arm above push rod several sharp blows with a mallet; if noise disappears, it indicates that foreign material was keeping check ball from seating. ...
If a lifter develops a loud noise when engine is at normal operating temperature, but is quiet when engine is below normal temperature, it indicates an excessively fast leak down rate or scored lifter plunger. Recondition or replace lifter.

Last edited by slammedS10; 03-02-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

hope thats helps

Quick Reply: GT2-3 Cam is in and....(problems)-Please help!!