Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Guaging intrest in a 427 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guaging intrest in a 427 conversion

We might start to build 427 silverado's. The truck will be a 2WD standard cab. It will have a ram air hood, SS front and rear air damns. The motor will be a iron block 427 making about 550hp. Upgraded tranny with shift kit. Custom interior, 22 inch wheels, lowered about 2 inches ect ect. This is just a thought we are throwing around. Do you guys think that there would be intrest? The price will be around $45k. Thanks, Kaley
Old 10-29-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Will there be a manual tranny option?
Old 10-29-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll believe it when it happens ...

There was another thread about something like this a while back. This was about a month ago. The guy said he would look at some things and get bacl with us next week. Nothing's been said since then. I suspect this is the same situation.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Couple things jump out here:

$45k sounds reasonable for what you are talking about, but I don't foresee a line at your door to buy a $45k truck no matter what it has done to it. I guess it would help to know sales numbers for the SRT-10 to see if I am way out of line with this thought. At that price point, I think folks would be looking at some of the other options out there, Corvette, etc.

What kind of tranny 'upgrade' are we talking? Please don't tell me just a shift kit in a 60E.

What kind of warranty and who would back it? I can't see GM wanting to.

Not trying to be a naysayer, but these are points I would consider if I were in the market for such a vehicle.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that truck has some possiblity to it although a 408 seems more doable at the price. i'd also think 22's on a 2wd would be too much when performance was a concern let alone replacement tire costs. 18's would be the way to go.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zippy
that truck has some possiblity to it although a 408 seems more doable at the price. i'd also think 22's on a 2wd would be too much when performance was a concern let alone replacement tire costs. 18's would be the way to go.

20's due to the fact that the SS comes with 20's. You want to be at least competitive with the market.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Take a serious look at what you do with the trans!

If your going to put that kind of $$$ in the motor, I'd do the same with the transmission.

Don't just put a shift kit on it!
Old 10-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Teching In

There is no way that a stock truck transmission will handle the power from the 427. The tranny will be built for the motor. Not just a shift kit. I have been crunching numbers on this for the past few days and it seems doable. I have a meeting setup with a local dealership about selling these. We will cover the motor/transmission warrenty. The rest of the warrenty will be covered by the dealership/GM. This is just something we are throwing around. I thought about this the other day when I saw something on the SRT-10 truck. It would be nice if GM had something to compete. The 408 would be a cheaper route but 427 just sounds cool. Keep posting guys. Thanks for the suggestions. Kaley
Old 10-29-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

A 427 isn't very reliable. You will constantly be fighting issues with oil consumption and a more frequent than desired sleeve dropping.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flyer
A 427 isn't very reliable. You will constantly be fighting issues with oil consumption and a more frequent than desired sleeve dropping.
Dropped sleeves wouldn't be an issue in the iron block. I'm guessing he's talking about a 4.060" bore and 4.125" stroke=427. LS1 based engines are very prone to oil consumption reguardless of the setup. In my experience with both 4" and 4.125" strokes, the oil consumption comes in the greatest part from PCV system. Since my addition of the oil catch can, oil consumption is no longer an issue(re-sleeved aluminum Darton Block 427). It catches a quart of oil every about 1k miles!!! That's running dual PCV valves before the catch can.

I do agree that this will probably not happen though.

Quick Reply: Guaging intrest in a 427 conversion