Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

guys with a single 4 inch exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

yea me too, but it is still very quiet especially inside. At the meet everyone thought I was driving a stock 5.3 with exhaust
Old 10-13-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guess thats what a 117 LSA will do for you lol...
Old 10-13-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Atomic
2x 6" round by 14" long 3in SI/SO magnaflow
1x 5x11x22 dual 3" in, single 4" out magnaflow

I personally dont like the flowmaster Y pipes, I used to have one and it added a lot of drone to my exhaust.

My exhaust basically sounds stock at anything but WOT, even inside.
hes not lying either... it runs smoother and quieter than stock until he hammers it and you can hear the vaccum leak
Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

It doesn't sound bad, the sound level is pretty tasteful. I don't want it dead silent but I don't want it deafening loud anymore. It is nice to be able to listen to the rumble and listen for any change in the exhaust tone.

Does anyone remember the Trucks TV episode from back in the day when Stacey David was the host and he did road test on the Joe Gibbs Silverado? To me the exhaust sounded just like a Nascar stock car under WOT. I want something unique sounding that when I put my foot down it makes me grin ear to ear and makes people wonder what just went by. I wonder what exhaust the Joe Gibbs truck used.

Atomic were you able to buy just the 4 inch tail pipe from Flo Pro or did you get the full 4 inch diesel truck system?

Edit: Been doing some research on Aero turbine mufflers and am liking what I'm reading and they sound really nice. Very very smooth and mellow and not all that loud. I'm planning on upgrading my rotting away hedman headers to some Doug Thorley tri y's and between that and the flowmaster Y and the aero turbine muffler I should damn near be making vacuum in the exhaust.

Last edited by oldred95; 10-13-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:34 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

I actually bought the flowmaster universal 4" tailpipe kit but it did not fit correctly. The shop I went to had the flo-pro piece on hand and it worked perfectly; I think he said it was actually for an F250.

Its funny, I remember you talking about "racking your pipes" leaving high school back in the day on FSC
Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Atomic
I actually bought the flowmaster universal 4" tailpipe kit but it did not fit correctly. The shop I went to had the flo-pro piece on hand and it worked perfectly; I think he said it was actually for an F250.

Its funny, I remember you talking about "racking your pipes" leaving high school back in the day on FSC
Things change, people change. Back then it got driven maybe 5000 miles a year. Now it still gets driven maybe 5000 miles a year but when I drive it, its almost always on the highway for at least an hour at a time and it gets a little old.

I found one on ebay, a universal 4 inch tail pipe for 100 bucks plus shipping.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Ok so this thread has confirmed for me now what I'm doing for my exhaust...dual 3 inch to single 4 inch. Mind PMing me the info on where/who you got that exhaust from old red?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanna hear Phantom's exhaust
Old 10-14-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bigredexpress99
Ok so this thread has confirmed for me now what I'm doing for my exhaust...dual 3 inch to single 4 inch. Mind PMing me the info on where/who you got that exhaust from old red?
I am wanting to go with a 4 inch single exhaust, but as of now I do not have one. Just gathering thoughts.

I think I've decided on an Aero Turbine 4040XL 4 inch diesel truck muffler for the setup. The muffler has a built in resonator and should kill the resonance in comparison to what I've got now. Supposedly they give a nice low rumble on the highway and light throttle driving. I'm hoping to stay away from a cat if at all possible.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Does anyone have a suggestion for a collector flange to put inline so the system can be two pieces for ease of removal of the front section if the tranny ever needs to come out.

Quick Reply: guys with a single 4 inch exhaust