Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Has anybody tried

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anybody tried

modifying a 4 or 5 inch diesel cat back to go on a gas silverado 1500. I'm Curious how it would fit over the axle on a half ton truck with a lower ride height and without HD body lift? Also how do you think the diesel muffler would sound.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the loss in back pressure would make this a bad idea. im sure if you bought the one designed for the length of the truck you have you should have no fitment issues.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a stock truck, it will not be worth a ****. A 4'' will go on a non HD truck, but does take some work. Save yourself some headaches and go with a single 3'' unless your making 6XX Plus HP.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like they said, a 4" can be done, but it's not "easy". No way you'll get a 5" on there, without a body lift. Most likely a huge overkill on a n/a setup, but if you're building a bigger FI or N2O setup you might benefit from it.

As for sound, mine is loud as hell inside & outside the cab. It does sound wicked good, but it drones at cruising rpm & gets annoying really fast. I'm on the search for a "quiet" 4 inch muffler, if one exists....

If you want to check out my install thread. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...xhaust-479850/
Old 03-03-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Like they said, a 4" can be done, but it's not "easy". No way you'll get a 5" on there, without a body lift. Most likely a huge overkill on a n/a setup, but if you're building a bigger FI or N2O setup you might benefit from it.

As for sound, mine is loud as hell inside & outside the cab. It does sound wicked good, but it drones at cruising rpm & gets annoying really fast. I'm on the search for a "quiet" 4 inch muffler, if one exists....

If you want to check out my install thread. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...xhaust-479850/

I like your setup. It would definitly be overkill for me but then again seriously is there really any such thing as overkill. It's not like I was asking if I should just run open headers. My truck is stock 2005 VHO Silverado that came stock with dual exhaust up to a single muffler. The problem I have is the owner before me put true dual exhaust all the way out. He put 2 magnaflows mufflers on it with kinked up 2 1/4 tailpipes that exit behind each rear tire. They went from the stock 2 1/2 inch pipe to the 2 1/4 by just sticking the 2 1/4 tailpipes in the 2 1/2 outlets on the mufflers and filling the gap with weld. The one tailpipe that exits the driver side rests on my parking brake cable and is about 1 1/2 inches from my regular brake line. It's all F#cked up. Sound like ****. Not sure why it sounds like **** but I think it's because there is not one smooth transition in my pipes. Where ever the pipes did not line up right they just filled it with weld . I'd like to put something on my truck that I'll never have to worry about being to small no matter what I might do to my truck in the future.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a 4" y-back with long tubes....sounded like ****