Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Has anyone completely removed their TM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone completely removed their TM?

I think I'm gonna buy a tuned PCM or get a tune to remove all of my torque managment within the next month or so. Has anyone done this, if so how did your truck feel afterward? I've got 3.73's and 22 inch rims on my AV. With the mods I have now if I'm at a stop sign and just smash the gas, I can tell I'm about a couple of HP's short of roasting the tires. If I had my stock wheels on I'm certain the truck would spin the tires at will. I've got plans for a cam soon too. Anyways how big of a deal is this Torque Management thing? Would I be roasting tires right now if it weren't there?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:10 AM

get it tuned fast
Old 12-30-2009, 01:13 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal_LS1
I think I'm gonna buy a tuned PCM or get a tune to remove all of my torque managment within the next month or so. Has anyone done this, if so how did your truck feel afterward? I've got 3.73's and 22 inch rims on my AV. With the mods I have now if I'm at a stop sign and just smash the gas, I can tell I'm about a couple of HP's short of roasting the tires. If I had my stock wheels on I'm certain the truck would spin the tires at will. I've got plans for a cam soon too. Anyways how big of a deal is this Torque Management thing? Would I be roasting tires right now if it weren't there?
I posted a thread with all the appropriate tables a few years back, might be able to find it with a search
Old 12-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you will not roast tires with 100% TQ managment removed.that is a myth.LOL
How much tq managment to take out depends on the quality and build of the transmission IMO.
I have heard people say the tranny is built so take it all out!!
In all honesty that means nothing to me,I always ask built by who or what company.
A good shop (like the sponsors) and or builder will most likely have a good reputation for the good work they do.
For the factory built 4L60E transmissions behind heavy trucks and suv's,TQ management serves a pretty darn good purpose IMO

Last edited by Wheatley; 12-30-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:28 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TM is only an auto's because you don't let off the gas to shift. The TM pulls the timing during shifts so that you aren't forcing a lot of power through during the shift.
No need for this on a manual since you let off the gas to shift already. No strain through the shift cuz you've released all of it.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by viciousknid
TM is only an auto's because you don't let off the gas to shift. The TM pulls the timing during shifts so that you aren't forcing a lot of power through during the shift.
No need for this on a manual since you let off the gas to shift already. No strain through the shift cuz you've released all of it.
So lets say I don't really care about how much power my tranny gets, would it be a good idea to have it removed during my tune? I've been reading positive reviews about getting rid of TM, I guess I'm trying to figure out if there are more pros than cons.

Originally Posted by Wheatley
No you will not roast tires with 100% TQ managment removed.that is a myth.LOL
How much tq managment to take out depends on the quality and build of the transmission IMO.
I have heard people say the tranny is built so take it all out!!
In all honesty that means nothing to me,I always ask built by who or what company.
A good shop (like the sponsors) and or builder will most likely have a good reputation for the good work they do.
For the factory built 4L60E transmissions behind heavy trucks and suv's,TQ management serves a pretty darn good purpose IMO
Would you remove it? I don’t race or anything but every once in a while I like to get on it. I’m looking for instant response when I get on the gas. I’m getting a tune but I want to know if getting rid of TM would be a good idea.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

I don't have any TM in my tranny and its been holding up just fine. I was under the impression that the stock tranny was gonna tear up anyway so I figured I would help it along, but so far its holding up fine. Some day i guess i will get a level III.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stangbanger
I don't have any TM in my tranny and its been holding up just fine. I was under the impression that the stock tranny was gonna tear up anyway so I figured I would help it along, but so far its holding up fine. Some day i guess i will get a level III.
When you had it removed could you tell you were getting more power to the wheels? Is it something you're glad you did or something that I shouldn't even worry about removing?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

if your plans are not to replace the trans anytime soon the remove 70% tm. If ya wanna replace transmissions like changing your underwear (usually 1 a day) then remove it all and have fun. As far as power to the wheels.......yea prolly about a 2 hp difference during the shift, nothing that would make your truck pop wheelies though. I personally don't like replacing trannies so i would opt to take out 70% and ride like that.

Hope that helps
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Black bear removed 80 tm out just in normal driving and 100% out in tow/haul mode and I have not have 1 problem with my trans yet. I keep hearing storys of the trans in these truck basically taking craps right off the show room floor.

this trans has about 36,xxx miles on it and I have not had 1 problem out of it yet. Changed the fluid at 30k installed the servo then too. Still running fine.

I don't beat the **** out of my truck, but I do take it to the track once in a while and have fun with it on the street. But I don't abuse it.

Quick Reply: Has anyone completely removed their TM?