Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Has anyone completely removed their TM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from stock to a tune without TM so I really don't know if the TM made any difference or not. I still have the stock converter in my truck and I would imagine that the 3000 stall you have might beat on the tranny a little more then mine. If your worried about tearing up your tranny and it makes you feel better then leave some in it. I think everybody on here is going to have a different opinion on this subject.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lownslo06
if your plans are not to replace the trans anytime soon the remove 70% tm. If ya wanna replace transmissions like changing your underwear (usually 1 a day) then remove it all and have fun. As far as power to the wheels.......yea prolly about a 2 hp difference during the shift, nothing that would make your truck pop wheelies though. I personally don't like replacing trannies so i would opt to take out 70% and ride like that.

Hope that helps

Yes that helps, maybe I'll do like 70-80%. My 4L60E is slightly built and I'm not pushing a lot of HP right now so I should be fine. I've been reading that the TM is what causes that delay when you mash the gas. That delay is what I want to get rid of.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my stock 60E had ~120k miles on it and it tried to slilp in 2nd gear so i put superior super servos in it and i had saved up enough money to get a built trans so i took all the TM out and tried to kill it. at 145k miles it was still kicking strong. 5.3 was stock but i wasnt easy on the poor thing.
i havent had TM in any of my transmissions since then. which was about 12? haha ive lost count.

after driving my truck with a FLT Lvl 4 4L80E, its annoying to drive something stock with TM, just get use to the shifts being nice and crisp.

Ill be tuning my Work van today, TM sucks in it bad.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
my stock 60E had ~120k miles on it and it tried to slilp in 2nd gear so i put superior super servos in it and i had saved up enough money to get a built trans so i took all the TM out and tried to kill it. at 145k miles it was still kicking strong. 5.3 was stock but i wasnt easy on the poor thing.
i havent had TM in any of my transmissions since then. which was about 12? haha ive lost count.

after driving my truck with a FLT Lvl 4 4L80E, its annoying to drive something stock with TM, just get use to the shifts being nice and crisp.

Ill be tuning my Work van today, TM sucks in it bad.
Ok I'm taking it all off then, 100%! I don't like the fact that there's something called TM on my truck anyways. You mention firm shifts. I've got a servo and my trans shifts firm now will TM just make it shift firmer? What else can I expect with getting rid of TM?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running 0% TM but I've got a built trans.

If your truck is stock, I wouldn't take all of it out. You can take a fair amount out, but taking all of it out is kindof retarded because it's not going to be fast anyways.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Just remove the usual 70-80% in normal mode, along with 100% removal in Tow/Haul mode. Best of both worlds when you need it.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z'06
Just remove the usual 70-80% in normal mode, along with 100% removal in Tow/Haul mode. Best of both worlds when you need it.

Good deal, that's exactly what I'll do; 80% normal 100% in tow/haul mode. Yeah that sounds like the smart thing to do. I didn't know it could be done like that.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Justin took 100% of mine out, live tune. I had recently had it rebuilt and beefed up prior to tune, and added vette servo and good parts as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

You've indicated you are going to get a Nelson tuned pcm. Just talk to Allen about your plans; he can recommend what to do based on your plans. You'll want to talk to him about how you want your shifts, shift points, etc. Personally, I've got all of the TM removed from my truck and yes, it makes a difference.

I've got a TT2600 and somewhat built the tranny - HD2 shift kit with FLT mods, hardened separator plate, billet servos, aluminum accumulators, Beast sunshell, wide 3-4 band, and premium Alto frictions.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brutal_LS1
So lets say I don't really care about how much power my tranny gets, would it be a good idea to have it removed during my tune? I've been reading positive reviews about getting rid of TM, I guess I'm trying to figure out if there are more pros than cons.
I was referring to Slowride454's post below
Originally Posted by slowride454
Do manual tranny trucks have torque management? I can blow the tires off through 3 gears, but it still feels like I'm down on power in the lower revs range. Or maybe it's the 4.8 LOL

I'll be doing a tune soon after I get the CAI, long tubes and exhaust done.
As stated, if your trans is stock don't take it all out it'll die faster.

Last edited by viciousknid; 12-30-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone completely removed their TM?