Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Has anyone completely removed their TM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brutal, removing TM doesn't make your truck any more powerful. Nor will it make you launch faster or improve your throttle response. TM pulls timing between shifts, helping to preserve the tranny. I am running full TM regularly, 50% TM in Tow/Haul. The difference is the computer only pulls half the degrees out during a shift, allowing it to get back to a full advance after the shift, effectively making the same power it was, just faster. When the comp. pulls timing, it does it instantly, like 8* or something like that. After the shift, it adds it in at something like 2* at a time, so the idea is to only pull half and you get back to full advance faster.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
Brutal, removing TM doesn't make your truck any more powerful. Nor will it make you launch faster or improve your throttle response. TM pulls timing between shifts, helping to preserve the tranny. I am running full TM regularly, 50% TM in Tow/Haul. The difference is the computer only pulls half the degrees out during a shift, allowing it to get back to a full advance after the shift, effectively making the same power it was, just faster. When the comp. pulls timing, it does it instantly, like 8* or something like that. After the shift, it adds it in at something like 2* at a time, so the idea is to only pull half and you get back to full advance faster.
So trans preservation aside, what advantage is there to not having your computer pull timing before shifts and obviously having full timing right after the shift? Because if someone is running with 0% TM then they'll have full timing throughout the shifting process right? I just don't want to waste my time with pulling TM if it's not going to do anything for me.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DrX
The heavier or more powerful your truck is, the more important torque management during shifts. TM was a brilliant idea of GM engineers so the company could save money by using cheaper parts in their transmissions. And from my experience they do not even hold up in completely stock applications.

Shift TM does not cause a lag when you mash the go pedal. That would be Abuse Management/Mode or Brake Torque Management(if one foot is on the brake) kicking in. On a stock trans I would leave in some Shift Torque Reduction. Not that I am an expert, just my .02.
We have a winner... WEIGHT is what kills the 60e. TM is excellent to make a cars transmission LIVE behind a TRUCK! Personally no matter what people do, TM or not, the 60e still sucks. I am planing a TVS1900 5.3 with a STOCK 80e with 0 management. Will not need TM with a trucks tranny 80e!

I have had built 60s... well they could not have been so called built, cause they died on me. Weight and power are the 2 biggest factors. For the record the 60e will hold great if driven with sense and no TM. Start making some power or add more weight, and tranny goes puke... If your keeping that tranny I would say keep TM.

I am just saying 800rwhp can be driven daily with TM and you would have great street manners and not worry about anything breaking, when tuned/calibrated correctly. My 2cents.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sleeperlqx
I am just saying 800rwhp can be driven daily with TM and you would have great street manners and not worry about anything breaking, when tuned/calibrated correctly. My 2cents.
My real-life experience leads me to agree with most of what you indicated. I don't think you can run a 60E behind a 6000 lb truck with 800 hp and not worry about something breaking, regardless if it was tuned/calibrated correctly. As you indicated, TM and proper tuning will help it live longer but that level of power would pretty much assure a short life for the 60E. If a person puts 800 hp behind their vehicle they most assuredly are not going to drive it like a grandma.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

The 800rwhp comment was geared towards a 80e tranny with TM... Just wanting to relate to people if they are at those numbers, please use a 80e and use 40% TM
Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brutal_LS1
So trans preservation aside, what advantage is there to not having your computer pull timing before shifts and obviously having full timing right after the shift? Because if someone is running with 0% TM then they'll have full timing throughout the shifting process right? I just don't want to waste my time with pulling TM if it's not going to do anything for me.
More timing, more power, right up until the shift and no delay in getting back to full potential right after the shift. Some say it nets slightly quicker ETs, I say its not worth it (to remove it fully) because you are just shortening the life of the tranny. I have 117K on my stock trans and it still shifts solid (just upped the line pressures, no shift kit no solenoids). Its holding up good.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Yeah I'm pretty much set on the 80/100 split. I don't ever plan on taking my truck to the track and I don't beat on it either. Would it be safe to say that if you had 2 trucks that were exactly the same but one had 100% of its TM removed, the one with no TM would be faster?
Old 01-02-2010, 02:27 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recall someone posting a screen shot of a TM log once. Seems to me that timing was only actually pulled for a fraction of a second during shifts. Not sure if it was long enough to make any difference to your ET.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brutal_LS1
Yeah I'm pretty much set on the 80/100 split. I don't ever plan on taking my truck to the track and I don't beat on it either. Would it be safe to say that if you had 2 trucks that were exactly the same but one had 100% of its TM removed, the one with no TM would be faster?
If you're not going to take it to the track, or beat on it, what does it matter if it has 100% or 0% TM?!

You won't know the difference anyways.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by brent1976

You won't know the difference anyways.
Are you so sure of that?

There is a massive feel difference between 0 and 100% TM. Hell, even 50% and 100% is a big difference at part throttle.

Quick Reply: Has anyone completely removed their TM?