Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Has anyone completely removed their TM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm...very good info. Seems like I've repeatedly heard that TM is the main offender in the factory de-tuning, but it appears that isn't the case. Can someone list the different types of TM, and how they work...how about abuse mode? What triggers that and what does the PCM do when in abuse mode?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Hmmm...very good info. Seems like I've repeatedly heard that TM is the main offender in the factory de-tuning, but it appears that isn't the case. Can someone list the different types of TM, and how they work...how about abuse mode? What triggers that and what does the PCM do when in abuse mode?
Most of that abuse stuff doesn't apply to the earlier trucks since they had drive by cable TBs. I turned off abuse mode in my tune and it made no difference in anything.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:20 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are most of the applicable tables from EFILive. Not sure why Engine> Torque Limiting would have limits for front and rear axles when 4X4 trucks do not have traction control (note that EFILive says this table is used with traction control). Therefore, I have disabled all limiting here in my calibration just in case it is used by the PCM somewhere along the line.

There are Abuse tables in both the engine and trans sections. There could be other triggers for abuse mode that we do not have access to, so I just disable it altogether.

The Brake Torque Management notes are self-explanatory.

Shift Torque Reduction is what I said may be only momentary.

Torque reduction can be achieved through spark reduction and/or closing the throttle in electronic throttle vehicles.

Last edited by DrX; 01-02-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:22 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Most of that abuse stuff doesn't apply to the earlier trucks since they had drive by cable TBs. I turned off abuse mode in my tune and it made no difference in anything.
OK, makes sense...how about Torque Management, what are the different kinds and when do they occur?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DrX
Not sure why Engine> Torque Limiting would have limits for front and rear axles when 4X4 trucks do not have traction control (note that EFILive says this table is used with traction control).
Most likely because the AWD vehicles are still considerd K Series trucks and a good deal of them do use traction control, especially the SUV's and the GMT-900 series trucks.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by DrX
Here are most of the applicable tables from EFILive. Not sure why Engine> Torque Limiting would have limits for front and rear axles when 4X4 trucks do not have traction control (note that EFILive says this table is used with traction control). Therefore, I have disabled all limiting here in my calibration just in case it is used by the PCM somewhere along the line.

There are Abuse tables in both the engine and trans sections. There could be other triggers for abuse mode that we do not have access to, so I just disable it altogether.

The Brake Torque Management notes are self-explanatory.

Shift Torque Reduction is what I said may be only momentary.

Torque reduction can be achieved through spark reduction and/or closing the throttle in electronic throttle vehicles.

This is good info, thanks DrX...(btw, I was typing my last response while you were posting this great info...)
Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok this is good info but what about guys with Nelson tunes and such? I know you can reduce TM but what about TCS and abuse mode? My buddy had a built 87 rcsb automatic and when you hit the accelerator there's hardly any delay. I'm trying to obtain the same feel that you get with a manual trans vehicle, instant accel. All this TM, TCS and Abuse garbage is annoying to me. I feel the delay in my truck and I want it gone.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah that's probably in the tune. Us cable TB guys dont have that problem
Old 01-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah my 5.0 put instant power down. maybe I'm just asking for too much, after all it is a truck. I wonder how much it would cost to get my truck to where I could roast the tires from a 20-30mph roll.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

depends what engine you have. A tuned, but otherwise stock 6.0 should be able to do it no problem.

Quick Reply: Has anyone completely removed their TM?