Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Have you noticed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Just a little note on the TR224...I contacted Thunder Racing a few years ago when I was putting together parts for my LQ9 build (which is now on hold due to lack of funds). I wanted to use that cam for my truck (rcsb 4x4), and they strongly recommended against it and told me that the low end torque would be disappointing in my "heavy" truck, even with my proposed 3k converter. They recommended the Comp 216/220, and said that at the most I should go with is their TR220 if I was hell-bent on something bigger. They also recommended a 114 LSA, but I can't remember their reasoning for that. A little food for thought.

(BTW, I'm planning on a 220/224 .551/.551 114 with a Yank TT3000 if I can ever afford to get this build off the ground, although I've changed my mind about the cam about 100 times so far lol)
thunder must be out of there minds. i have a tr224-112 in a 6.0 in a crew cab. tt3000 converter. i haven't found anyone disappointed in the way my truck runs yet. traction doesn't exist in 1st gear whether i am stopped or moving. i have 4.10 gears and 20's.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckshop
thunder must be out of there minds. i have a tr224-112 in a 6.0 in a crew cab. tt3000 converter. i haven't found anyone disappointed in the way my truck runs yet. traction doesn't exist in 1st gear whether i am stopped or moving. i have 4.10 gears and 20's.
Wish I could remember who's name was on the email..."somebody"@thunder lol. I have 3.73's and I know I mentioned that in my inquiry...
Old 10-09-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckshop
This is exactly what I'm inclined to believe. Hate to say it, but it sounds like Thunder has no experience with trucks if they said the TR224 would have no lowend. At worst the lowend will be the same as stock.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Say we only want to rev our engine to 6000. 112 lsa is going to peak there and a 116lsa will peak let's say 6400....

Regarding your love for the BBC, I think it's time you get a diesel and quit complaining. The LSX engines simply do not make torque down low like a SBC, let alone a BBC. It is something in their inherent engineering that is beyond my knowledge. I will be the first to admit that the low end of the 6.0 really dissapointed me, and that was coming from a 4.8. Under 2000, it really isn't much different, which was surprising. Finally, regarding your switch to a 408 stroker or the likes, I wouldn't do it. There's one thread you may want to dig up, where the OP states that he felt the low end on his 408 was weak (coming from a 6.0 magnacharged I believe) "I thought 408's made monster torque?"
You really don't know what you are talking about, do you?

Do yourself a favor and don't comment on cam specs with regard to lobe separation angle ever again.

GM neutered the 6L with torque management. The older small blocks didn't have that problem. The vehicles they have been put in are heavier than they've ever been.

What size cams did the 6L have compared to the 408? Was the 408 boosted? If you didn't change the heads, cam, intake, etc, but just increased the stroke, then your torque numbers will go up greatly.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

EFFECTS OF CHANGING LOBE SEPERATION ANGLE (LSA)

Tighten (smaller LSA number)---- Widen (larger LSA number)

Moves Torque to Lower RPM ---- Raise Torque to Higher RPM
Increases Maximum Torque ---- Reduces Maximum Torque
Narrow Power band --- -------- Broadens Power Band
Builds Higher Cylinder Pressure ---- Reduce Maximum Cylinder Pressure
Increase Chance of Engine Knock ----Decrease Chance of Engine Knock
Increase Cranking Compression ---- Decrease Cranking Compression
Increase Effective Compression ----Decrease Effective Compression
Idle Vacuum is Reduced ----------- Idle Vacuum is Increased
Idle Quality Suffers ----- -------- Idle Quality Improves
Open Valve-Overlap Increases ------ Open Valve-Overlap Decreases
Closed Valve-Overlap Increases ---- Closed Valve-Overlap Decreases
Natural EGR Effect Increases ------- Natural EGR Effect is Reduced