Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

head, cam numbers uninspiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default head, cam numbers na setup

SLT 5.3 Ext cab z71 3.73 g80 stock tires

Heads: 5.3 milled .050, 5 angle valve job, larger 2" intake same exhaust size
slight unshrouding of both valves

Cam: LPE gt2-5 222/222 .566/.566 112 lsa

These were the only changes made other than pushrods. Ive got an aem intake and 3" in/out 40 flow, still running stock exhaust manifolds.

30hp gain and tq stayed the same, gained moderate area under the curve. It pushed the curve out around 1000 rpms and its flatter more area.

stock
With stock engine I was at 244.3/294.3 (which was good for stock) and numbers peaked hp at 4900 rpms and 3800 for the tq.
new setup
275.9/291.9
peak hp is at 5400 before it drops
peak tq is pushed out to 4800 before it drops

To give an idea of how it pushed the curve out and flattened it
with stock at 5400 power is between 220-230
new setup at 5400 power is between 260-270

This isnt the barnburning setup I was hoping for at around 24 degrees I had pinging and we had to pull timing, I think this was due to me buying cheapo 93 even though I added octane buster it was shitty gas . I put in exon with some octane buster on the way back and no more pinging. I really wish we could have added timing but thats for next time. One unexpected gain was mileage Ive gained at least 2mpg which I cant argue with. I think my head setup might have hurt I still have the stock heads and after I put lt's and cutouts on and get dynos Ill go back to the stock heads and see. Im hoping good headers with cutouts will get me over the 300 rwhp mark. My goal was 350 which Ive fallen well short of.
After Im done messing with this na setup Im slapping on a 150 shot, Im already thinking about a 383 stroker or 408 setup

As far as real world times I did a few quick runs with the gtech and got a best of 6.3 to 60mph. The 13's seem so far away for my little na setup, but who doesnt love a challenge. I have nothing but traction problems with the g80 and stock tires, I have to really baby the gas it will spin and spin and spin. Eaton is badly needed with some good tires my 0-60 should be in the 5ish range then.

Id love to hear some recommendations, this setup is just uninspiring and frustrating after all the work Ive put into it.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say headers would really help you out. I would start there,maybe even lose the flowmaster and try a Magnaflow.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mattrem
I say headers would really help you out. I would start there,maybe even lose the flowmaster and try a Magnaflow.
are flowmasters that bad?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mattrem
...maybe even lose the flowmaster and try a Magnaflow.
I think this would definitely help, especially with your torque #s. Also, if I remember correctly you have a dual-out flowmaster, dumped right? You might be surprised at how much improvement a single 3" in/out Magnaflow with a single 3" exit will make!

My truck had an Imco turbo muffler with dual exits when I bought it. I replaced it with the Magnaflow I described above with a 3" mandrel exit pipe and couldn't believe the difference.

Just a thought...good luck with this, Chris. I hate like hell this is happening because I know you took a LOT of time thinking about what you were going to do.

One other thing I wanted to ask you about. You've mentioned several times that you had the heads shaved 5/100ths. That seems really excessive to me. The one's I bought on e-bay were milled 5/1000ths which I thought was typical. Are you sure they milled .05 and not .005? That would affect your valve-train geometry formula a LOT.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

what are you guys na numbers?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

I don't have #s yet. After the H/C swap, I'm hoping to get the guy you and Billy used in Durham to dyno-tune mine. I'd like to get some before #s but can't afford it right now. Unemployment bites!
Old 03-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Did you mill 5.3 heads .050? Thats probably why you are pinging so badly, get rid of the Flowmasters & add some LT's & that will help a lot. Otherwise, do some more extensive head work & your numbers will get much better.

Ryan
Old 03-10-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
I don't have #s yet. After the H/C swap, I'm hoping to get the guy you and Billy used in Durham to dyno-tune mine. I'd like to get some before #s but can't afford it right now. Unemployment bites!
You better call him he's booked solid for the next two weeks. some big company is flying him out to cali for the next three days to get him to tune like 20 of thier cars in three days hes also training thier employees. Last week some rich dude flew him to maryland and put him up just so he could tune his vet. I wish we could get him on here.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I was talking to a friend today who had a lightning he works as a mechanic at a local dealership I used to work at. I told him I was dissappointed with my setup and told him what the numbers where 277 at the wheels. He looked at me strange. Later he related that his lightning didnt make 277 at the wheels and that was a 2wd with no stall either. That got me thinking. If I get to 310 rwhp which it looks like Im going to end up at with my na setup that means that little 325 will be putting out a little over 400hp na (figuring 25% loss through 4wd and loose stall). I think thats impressive from what Ive seen out of other manufacturerers motors. And I should be into the 13's with traction which is my goal, then maybe low 13's or maybe I can see a peek at 12's with some nitrous.

So maybe those numbers arent that bad.
what do you guys think.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
I was talking to a friend today who had a lightning he works as a mechanic at a local dealership I used to work at. I told him I was dissappointed with my setup and told him what the numbers where 277 at the wheels. He looked at me strange. Later he related that his lightning didnt make 277 at the wheels and that was a 2wd with no stall either. That got me thinking. If I get to 310 rwhp which it looks like Im going to end up at with my na setup that means that little 325 will be putting out a little over 400hp na (figuring 25% loss through 4wd and loose stall). I think thats impressive from what Ive seen out of other manufacturerers motors. And I should be into the 13's with traction which is my goal, then maybe low 13's or maybe I can see a peek at 12's with some nitrous.

So maybe those numbers arent that bad.
what do you guys think.
The guy is nuts! I've had two Lightnings, and ran around with a few other Lightnings. Stock they make around 340-350rwhp. With a $100 chip and a $200 pulley mine put down 380/480, which was less than a few others. But honestly, if his Lightning didn't put down 277rwhp, something was SERIOUSLY wrong.

Quick Reply: head, cam numbers uninspiring