Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

head, cam numbers uninspiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 03:31 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

02sierra - was this on a mustang dyno or a dynojet?

I think you should have gained more too (on a dynojet). Most 212/218 cam swaps net 30 rwhp. Yours should have made more all things being equal. How much timing did you end up with?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you had it to do over again would you have considered this route?
http://www.augustpohl.com/ hit search type in 02 99up 2500 6.0 engine.then slip in a used cam with specs like you have.You said you like a challenge,I am the opposite I like to go with a proven PKG. rather than re-invent the wheel,also dependability was at the top of the list for goals.So how much have you spent total all parts and labor and rocker repair,towing bill?350HP is doable just makes it easier with cubes when your dealing with a 5200LB truck.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rraz71_5.3+6.0

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=gonzo

Do you plan to hit the track anytime soon?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigTex
02sierra - was this on a mustang dyno or a dynojet?

I think you should have gained more too (on a dynojet). Most 212/218 cam swaps net 30 rwhp. Yours should have made more all things being equal. How much timing did you end up with?
Its on a dynojet
I was talking to a friend who has that cam and a full setup, he also dynod very low I was looking at other dyno numbers from people with fbodys and thinking about the mods they had and the numbers they put down on the dyno they also seem low.
I know timing is below 24 thats what it was at and we had to pull it because of pinging the gas I was running was cheap 93 my mistake.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
If you had it to do over again would you have considered this route?
http://www.augustpohl.com/ hit search type in 02 99up 2500 6.0 engine.then slip in a used cam with specs like you have.You said you like a challenge,I am the opposite I like to go with a proven PKG. rather than re-invent the wheel,also dependability was at the top of the list for goals.So how much have you spen total all parts and labor and rocker repair,towing bill?350HP is doable just makes it easier with cubes when your dealing with a 5200LB truck.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rraz71_5.3+6.0

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=gonzo

Do you plan to hit the track anytime soon?

I plan on hitting the track when I get a good posi unit I have no traction whatsoever and have still managed to squeeze out a 6.2 0 to 60 with the gtech 5 sec range is iminent with traction.
As far as cost I spent around 2k total. For that amount yes I could have a 6.0 But I go to school fulltime work fulltime and live on the second floor in a one bedroom apt. I dont have access to a shop nor anywhere where I can work on something other than the parking lot if things were different I would have gone the other route but they arent and Ive made the best of my situation. This allowed me to drive the truck and do some mods plus I learned alot. Granted Im a newbie but Im learning.

The real test is when I go to the track the dyno is just a tool.

I dont know what your deal is youve been on my case from day one.

Too everyone else who has been helpful thank you its greatly appreciated
Old 03-11-2005, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.05 is almost a 16th of an inch. thats alot to mill off heads I would think, Im a machinist but I dont do engine work tho....You seriously need to ditch the stock manifolds and go with some lt's. I think the majority do manifolds first then cam/headwork. Youve probly got an easy 25 rwhp lurking in there
Old 03-11-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stealth03ss
.05 is almost a 16th of an inch. thats alot to mill off heads I would think, Im a machinist but I dont do engine work tho....You seriously need to ditch the stock manifolds and go with some lt's. I think the majority do manifolds first then cam/headwork. Youve probly got an easy 25 rwhp lurking in there
I agree thats next on the list with an eaton
Old 03-11-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Id really like to hear from some of the guys who've been around. I cant figure it.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned

Their Is No Way That U Shaved Your Heads .050 I Went .035 And Everyone Say That Was To Much.if You Did Go .050 Then You Need To Put .040 Shims Under Your Rocker Arm Shaft To Stop The Ping A Little Because Stock Rockers Are Nonadjustable So The Vavle Will Be Staying Open. Are U Could Put Adj. Rockers To Make Up The Difference.i Am Running 34* Timeing All The Time @ Wot.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You asked and I gave you the cold hard opinion which many backed me,you said you wanted to hit 350HP on the dyno.you had the facts and were given links and all the info to do what you asked for,had you followed the recipe you couple be driving a low 14 second truck with perfect drivability and drove like stock until you puched it.You could have achieved this for under $2K parts and labor.You chose to have a challenge.So did you meet your goals?No could you have with an open mind yes.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

gonzo its like Im trying to talk to a brick wall. I said I wanted to stick with the 5.3

Quick Reply: head, cam numbers uninspiring