Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Head and Cams or Magnachager?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heads/cam gets my vote for bang for buck
Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will be happier with the magnacharger IMO
Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Come on band wagon guys...quit jumping and analyze this guys question...go deep...

Is this for a 4.8, 5.3, 6.0L?

Year of truck?

Transmission?

Other planned mods?

Also, are we talking just flat out gain regardless of cost or are we comparing HP per dollar investment?

Flat out HP comparison, maggie wins hands down. HP per dollar? Heads and cam win hands down.

A Maggie will show ABOUT 120whp at the wheels, but most intercooled kits will run you $5k give or take + install if you dont do it yourself.

Heads and cam, I would estimate you can find excellent heads and a powerful cam for well under $3k. Patriot heads are $1200 and AFR are $2200...almost flow the same, so close your butt dyno wont know the difference, only a dyno will who a few HP dif. Cam selection is also everything. You can easily pick up 80+whp at the wheels with the right combo and good tuning.

So...bang for buck analysis...

Heads/cam = $37 per HP (assuming $3k in costs, self install/tune, and 80hp gain at the wheels)

Maggie = $41 per HP (assuming $5k in cost and self install, comes with basic tune, and 120hp gain at the wheels)

Just round numbers...not exact...argue away now.

The L92/L76 costs a little more because of the custom work needed to modify the water pump and relocate the idler pulley etc.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was looking at the head cam packages from TSP and they are like 1600. I didn't know if it would be much of a power benefit. My truck is a 2005 Chevy 1500 5.3 4L60E and 2wd. The only performance mods now are a Nelson Tune, no cats and Magnaflow muffler. Then the other free mods coolant bypass, and descreened MAF. The only thing I ever rode that was supercharged was a Joe Gibbs ECSB with the 5.3 and I wasn't impressed at all. I would hope that the lack of power would be because it was detuned to preserve the tranny.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by black2003ss
So...bang for buck analysis...

Heads/cam = $37 per HP (assuming $3k in costs, self install/tune, and 80hp gain at the wheels)

Maggie = $41 per HP (assuming $5k in cost and self install, comes with basic tune, and 120hp gain at the wheels)
Nice comparison, I would definitely spend the additional $480.00 to get 40 more horsepower

When all is said and done, the Magna Charger is going to give you more bang for buck in the power and ease of installation department. Depending on your level of mechanical ability, the Magna Charger will take you substantially less time to install than a H/C package.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian@JPA
Depending on your level of mechanical ability, the Magna Charger will take you substantially less time to install than a H/C package.
which means more $$$ for installation of a H/C
Old 07-10-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

once you have a maggie you might also want a cam so also means more money.

the debate will go on,

search around, look at drag times, dyno numbers, reliability with each combo, etc. after you search you will soon come to a decision and it will hit you on what you want.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

It really comes down to what you can afford...
Old 07-10-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RIGHT heads and cam combination will make very close to the same gains as the maggie. Also remember, the 120rwhp gain is not typical. Yes, alot of guys hit that mark, but there have been quite a few that have not seen 120 gain too. I like the idea of the heads and cam package myself, and i'm a FI guy. You can put a nice heads and cam package together, keep the stock compression and get a cam that would compliment the addition of a Magnacharger in the future. I havent seen too many people that just stop at a certain point, they usually keep pushing for more and more power. Also a heads and cam setup would run more consistant track times year around where a FI system will fall off WAY more in the summer months. Also, even if you come up 40hp short of the maggie, you wont be adding the additional weight of the supercharger over the front end of your already heavy truck,so that would help make up for it.
Just a few things to think a bout, and it all really comes down to what YOU like. I like boost,but thats just me. Just like some people prefer all motor or nitrous setups.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:55 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ranwalk
I havent seen too many people that just stop at a certain point, they usually keep pushing for more and more power.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Quick Reply: Head and Cams or Magnachager?