Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Head and Cams or Magnachager?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The maggie can be taken alot further though. You wont see a 12.0 run with just heads and cam, but you can with a maggie because you can pulley down, J-tube conversion, still do a cam, upgrade the intercooler to a custom setup, add meth, even add N2O, etc.

Obviously, with heads and cam you can add N2O or a blower down the road as well.

Why dont you just pull the motor, build a forged bottom end with heads and cam, and then stick a vortech, procharger, M122 on there? LOL. Getting ahead of ourselves here.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:22 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I don't make the truck fast I will likely just make it pretty. Right now it is lowered 4-6 with 24 inch Bonspeeds. A friend and I were talking last night and he got me to thinking. He has a 3rd gen RX7 with a head and cammed LS1. I am trying to get him to go FI because the 225 AFRs he has I think are screaming for more flow. When the debate turned to my truck I thought that a head and cam would make more power for less money than the Magnacharger. I guess I was wrong..120 extra whp would be nice.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:23 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I did replace the motor I would go full 6 litre stroker motor.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is more of a question than a statement:

from reading threads about cams, i was under the impression that bigger cam means more hp but later in rpm range so you need a TC with a higher stall to take advantage of it. are these the cams some people are refering to when they say you can gain similar power with cam/heads? if so, wouldnt the higher stall decrease daily driver-ness (worse town gas mileage...not sure if its harder on engine/tranny or not) and not as good for towing?

again, this was a question
Old 07-10-2007, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

You can run a 2600-3000 stall, be very daily driveable/streetable and run the cam necessary for the power gains we are hypothesizing. Car craft or chevy high performance magazine made 550hp on a pretty much stock 6.0L with L92 heads, XR281 cam, and L76 car intake, plus some other minor tweaks.

One thing to consider about both of these options...and now we are splitting hairs...is the power curve itself. The maggie comes on strong down low and will make more power and torque at lower rpms than any head and cam package. However, if the gains are big enough in the upper rpm range of the head and cam package, it doesnt matter that much. So even though you might gain 100+whp from a cam and head swap, you might run a 13.3-13.5 in a silverado ss awd ext cab, but run a 13.1-13.0 with a maggie on the same said truck. If you could compare the two runs on a time slip in fantasy land, you would see the 60ft times would be far superior to the head and cam package. Most run a converter with the maggie anyways, so its negligible.

Both packages would want LT headers, some sort of converter, and exhaust for the best results.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

with the mods in my sig (less than 2k in parts, installed myself), heads, cam, manifold and 100 shot, i should be mid to high 12's. AND wheels, tires, cal-tracs, weight reduction etc. point is, youre gonna make it fast...then faster, then faster and even faster after that. thats just the way it goes. the steps you take is up to you. i love the lopey sound of a cam, but the whine of a blower almost gives me a boner. then theres a turbo........
Old 07-10-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

The lopey Idle goes away when you hit the gas, Thats when the blower starts screamin and never stops. I Considered a H/C swap before I decided on the Maggie. The blower was probably less work and I'm glad I went that way...
Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black2003ss
The maggie can be taken alot further though. You wont see a 12.0 run with just heads and cam, but you can with a maggie because you can pulley down, J-tube conversion, still do a cam, upgrade the intercooler to a custom setup, add meth, even add N2O, etc.

Obviously, with heads and cam you can add N2O or a blower down the road as well.

Why dont you just pull the motor, build a forged bottom end with heads and cam, and then stick a vortech, procharger, M122 on there? LOL. Getting ahead of ourselves here.
i'm only going with i see downhere at the race track, but i have yet to see a maggied truck hit 12.0 alone, when you talk about all the upgrades then its not the original question that was asked.

oh yea and my 6.0 with heads and cam is at a 12.1
Old 07-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

sts not good enough anymore and its cheaper than a maggie dont forget to add the price of a converter and install with that H/C package because, if you plan on getting a large cam your going to need it.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

$3000 was a really high estimate assuming you wanted to go with the expensive AFR heads.

Patriot heads (flow almost as good as anything else out there IMO) - $1,300
Comp Cam kit with springs (pretty much any grind from mild to wild, you pick. XR or XER lobes) - $500
Pushrods - $150
Yank Converter - $425
Total = $2375

Install it all yourself...

Maggie - $5,000
Yank Converter - $425

My only is not trying to say which method is better, you can argue and spin it pretty much either way. Hands down, the radix makes more power, but costs almost twice as much if assuming self install. A maggie is less expensive to install.

oh yea and my 6.0 with heads and cam is at a 12.1
P.S. No head and cam package with a converter will get my ext ss 6.0L into the 12's without alot of help...single cab truck, sure it will...

Skyhighsami - What is your budget for this project? How much can you afford to spend?

Quick Reply: Head and Cams or Magnachager?